Cheap brands in Local shops

bellis

:)

anyone remember the local shops from years ago ... u no the cheap stuff bit like happy shopper stuff i can still remember the my mum range of products and in the 70s there was a cheap brand called bob ...and while im talkin about the 70s anyone remember hillards at lane top:)

I don't remember BOB.

In Skegness you can still get HAppy Shopper stuff.

Haven't seen 'My mum's' for years, but it was SO entertaining - a little comment on each product.

My favourite was......

My Mums Lemonade... fizzes up your nose'

How delightful.

:D

Yeah, Hillards! Great fun! I remember the good old bad days when the 75 /76 bus route changed, and instead of terminating at the supermarket, it continued all the way down Barnsley Road without stopping :rolleyes:

Of course, the really good part was getting off the bus with six or seven bags, then walking up a steep hill back home :thumbsup:

Originally posted by hiyabeing

Haven't seen 'My mum's' for years, but it was SO entertaining - a little comment on each product.

My favourite was......

My Mums Lemonade... fizzes up your nose'

Indeed. This was the most entertaining thing about my student years in Coventry :D

My personal favourite was on packets of fish fingers:

"Ready, breaded, go!"

And it would then claim that the comment had been sent in by some 7 year old kid. Yeah, right.

• 2 months later...

Yes, remember Hillards, it used to be our favorite shop when we lived at Lane Top, in it's day, easily as good as Morrisons for selection and value. Shame it closed, a lot of people missed it untill other stores opened. It was a lot better than Sommerfields at Firth Park.

The Somerfield in Firth Park is rubbish. I'd prefer it if they rebranded it as Kwik Save and cut the price of everything.

There's really no justification for charging the prices they do :mad:

I remember the Fine Fare supermarket on Margetson Shops just off Wordsworth Ave. The staff were always happy to see you and get whatever you wanted. The same can be said for the grocers, Deakins and the chemist, Lomas was brill. When they were building the Catholic church across the road and it was still at the foundation stage, my friends and I used to play there. I once managed to sit on a bee and it stung me on the back of my thigh. We went straight across the road (it was a Sunday) and knocked on his door. Mr Lomas came down from his flat above the shop and put some cream and a plaster on for me. It's very rare you get such service now although I'm told there are still some shopkeepers/workers who are very friendly and helpful.

Hillards has long gone but the building is still there after being a presto and kwik save its now called job lot and sells a lot of short dated stuff in what was the old hardware dept of hillards downstairs..........anyone remember shoppers paradise at the Chaucer school end of buchanan road it was a bit like Netto at the time.......

Archived