Gremlin Graphics? Where are they now?

Space

Hey all,

I know this is a long-shot but does anyone know the where-abouts of any ex Gremlin Graphics games programmers? I'm mainly looking for Peter Harrap who designed and programmed the 'Monty Mole' series on the Spectrum...

I'm not sure if they are working under a new guise now or if they have given up the programming business completely...

They used to be based in the late 80's/early 90's on Carver Street and am not sure if they merged with French developers Infogrammes.

Thanks in advance,

sPaCe

I did work experience at Krisalis software Ltd at Teque House in Rotherham back in 1990, Pete Harrap aka Nobby was working there at the time, still might be.

Google for Krisalis Software to find their contact details as it was 15 years ago so I can't remember anything.

Edit: Found their address and phone number here

As if by magic - the shop keeper appeared.....

I was at Gremlin *just* before it was bought by Infogrames (who later started using the Atari brand); many of the original guys had moved on long before I got there. :(

Also - I was in marketing and as anyone in the business knows, marketing and dev never EVER speak on pain of DEATH. DEATH!

As you probably know, Gremlin Graphics first became "Gremlin Interactive" - and relocated from original Sheffield HQ on Carver Street to an (at the time!) impressive spot next to the Washington Pub near Devonshire Green (now demolished and being rebuilt as ... trendy appartments I think [for a change..])

I remember this as I went for an interview there sometime in the late 1990's (have a clear memory or sitting next to a life-size cardboard cut-out of Alan Shearer in reception .. but I digress!)

Anyway, as someone else pointed out, Gremlin was then "absorbed" / taken over by French publisher Infogrammes .. and then it seemed to go wrong (or the brand was phased out - not sure exactly what happened)

Anyway, although I know not of the whereabouts of Mr. Harrap (sorry), I _do_ know that former Gremlin "head-honcho" Ian Stewart is still around in Sheffield - as far as I know he runs the *highly* successful "ZOO Digital Group" company, based believe it or not on Division Street (or they were until recently anyway - look out for the green stickers in the windows up above)

In actual fact, there's a photo of Ian on the Home page of their site (Duke of York story)

http://www.zoodigitalgroup.com/splash.asp?sec=74&style=5

Their telephone number is on the contact page. You never know - someone there might have Harrap's contact info, as I suspect that there might be more Gremlin connections beyond Mr. Stewart.

Ramble, ramble - hope that helps!

p.s. Say "hi" to Monty from me if you track him down .. LOL

My Cousin, Patrick, worked for Gremlin, then Infogrammes and left as they moved the operation to Atari in France. I heard recently that a few of the old Gremlin gang had got together and started a new company. I'll see if I can sift some more info from him at the weekend.

Hi

A few of the Gremlin old boys started up a company called Sumo Digital based around the arena somewhere last heard.

The guy who set up gremlin in the first place many moons ago set up Zoo digital and thats going strong

One of the guys on this fourm should be able to tell you more, he may well see this and post, Over to you segasonic

Originally posted by meersbrook

As you probably know, Gremlin Graphics first became "Gremlin Interactive" - and relocated from original Sheffield HQ on Carver Street to an (at the time!) impressive spot next to the Washington Pub near Devonshire Green (now demolished and being rebuilt as ... trendy appartments I think [for a change..])

I remember this as I went for an interview there sometime in the late 1990's (have a clear memory or sitting next to a life-size cardboard cut-out of Alan Shearer in reception .. but I digress!)

Anyway, as someone else pointed out, Gremlin was then "absorbed" / taken over by French publisher Infogrammes .. and then it seemed to go wrong (or the brand was phased out - not sure exactly what happened)

Anyway, although I know not of the whereabouts of Mr. Harrap (sorry), I _do_ know that former Gremlin "head-honcho" Ian Stewart is still around in Sheffield - as far as I know he runs the *highly* successful "ZOO Digital Group" company, based believe it or not on Division Street (or they were until recently anyway - look out for the green stickers in the windows up above)

In actual fact, there's a photo of Ian on the Home page of their site (Duke of York story)

http://www.zoodigitalgroup.com/splash.asp?sec=74&style=5

Their telephone number is on the contact page. You never know - someone there might have Harrap's contact info, as I suspect that there might be more Gremlin connections beyond Mr. Stewart.

Ramble, ramble - hope that helps!

p.s. Say "hi" to Monty from me if you track him down .. LOL

IIRC Zoo Digital is now near Office World in Town, not far from the old Pop Museum.

Edit: Found their contact details on Google.

20 Furnival Street

Sheffield

S1 4QT

UK

General enquiries:

T: +44 (0) 114 241 3700

F: +44 (0) 114 241 3701

E: info@zoodigitalpublishing.com

Originally posted by Jingo

Hi

A few of the Gremlin old boys started up a company called Sumo Digital based around the arena somewhere last heard.

The guy who set up gremlin in the first place many moons ago set up Zoo digital and thats going strong

One of the guys on this fourm should be able to tell you more, he may well see this and post, Over to you segasonic

Eyup Jingo, how's things?

Yep, Sumo Digital is mainly ex Gremlogrames and Particle/Argonaut people, plus a few from Climax. We're at Arena Court, next to Brewsters pub.

http://www.sumo-digital.com/

As Rich says, Zoo is now next to the Republic and there are a lot of ex Gremlogrames guys there as far as I know.

I know a few people who were at Krisalis/Teque, I believe they closed years ago ... I don't know Pete Harrap personally, his bio is here http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,41465/ and may contain some useful info.