Decent Bars that encourage Conversation

2wentypence

Does anybody know any decent pubs / bars in the city center where you can hear people talking at the weekend?

Would anybody else be interested in the unique idea of low / no music.

I know about Wetherspoons- its quiet, cheap and the beers very good but its like a working mans club inside :o

the red lion on charles street- on the opposite side of arundel gate to the roebuck and the yorkshire grey.

we have music, but its not blaring. we also have a conservatory that doesnt have any speakers in it so you cant really hear the music in there.

theres also the snug, no speakers in there either. there is a tv in there, but it only really gets switched on for matchdays during the day.

sophie

x

Since Ruskins got plugged... I'll plug boho!

Just behind Cathedral and down the road from the Wig & Pen (which is also pretty good) we definately encourage conversation. You won't find the music too loud and you'll find a drink or two to suit your tastes. The cocktail menu is nearly ready (ask the staff for recommendations and their own personal favourites), and keep an eye out for offers in exposed, westside etc.

As for the city centre, I'd recommend the red deer or the brown bear. Or you could head over to Kelham Island and you could visit the fat cat, cask and cutler, the gardeners rest, kelham island tavern. I hate noisy bars and clubs too and believe me, in some of these places you could hear a pin drop (in a good way). They all have good beer and reasonable prices too.

Archived