Ribbon? RIBBON! WHY?

Fogey

I've been forced onto Excel for today - what a disaster...

Open a file from the recent list, File, click on it, no problem.

Go to open the second file, file, open - get a directory navigation box. Why?

Why has the functionality changed? Mid way though the process? Why now must I hunt for the "recent" files button - which isn't on the menu where it should be, anc change that just to get the same functionality as before?

Time to root this laptop and download Libre. Scuse me just a second whilst I crack a password....

I've been forced onto Excel for today - what a disaster...

Open a file from the recent list, File, click on it, no problem.

Go to open the second file, file, open - get a directory navigation box. Why?

Why has the functionality changed? Mid way though the process? Why now must I hunt for the "recent" files button - which isn't on the menu where it should be, anc change that just to get the same functionality as before?

There is no recent files button. Never has been. You never clicked Open to open the first file. Open always displays a file open dialog box.

Recent files are displayed on the right as soon as you open the menu. IF it isn't there because you've accidentally pointed at one of the other options that have submenus, simply point your cursor back at one of the options that don't have submenus (i.e. no little rightwards arrow).

No functionality has changed. PEBCAK.

There is no recent files button. Never has been. You never clicked Open to open the first file. Open always displays a file open dialog box.

Recent files are displayed on the right as soon as you open the menu. IF it isn't there because you've accidentally pointed at one of the other options that have submenus, simply point your cursor back at one of the options that don't have submenus (i.e. no little rightwards arrow).

No functionality has changed. PEBCAK.

I suggest you get a copy of Excel yourself and check. Then you can come back and apologise.

Open excel, click File and you will be given a list of recently opened files.

Once opened, click File and you don't get a list any more. You then have to find the recent button. Then you get the list of files...

Have you tried disabling add ons? Because my copy of Excel shows the list of recently used documents regardless of whether you've already opened a file or not.