Chubby's on cambridge street

After a few beers in town on Friday night I thought I'd have a stroll along memory lane and have one of Chubby's fantastic cheeseburgers.

Oh dear. Oh very dear.

What has happened there?

Ok, on the face of it as you walk in, very little. Same seats and tables. Same decor. Same menu board (just a lot more expensive).

All good then - should be the same tasty food.

First sign of trouble - no one there. It used to be packed with punters and staff. Eventually a sullen looking lady served me.

I went for the cheeseburger - I used to love the cheese they put on. I thought a half pounder was too big so went for a quarter pounder.

It arrived, with the fries I ordered. They were average.

But the burger was not.

First of all they must just use a standard size bun for both sizes of burger. Because it dwarfed the quarter pound burger. I was a few bites in before I got to the meat.

Second, the bread was dry.

The salad on the burger consisted of: lettuce.

Could the legendary cheese sauce rescue it? No. Nothing like the original at all. A cheap premix processed gloop. All it did was soak into the dry bread.

How about the burger then? Cardboard.

Overall, whoever has taken over there has done a great job of destroying what once was a great burger bar.

After a few beers in town on Friday night I thought I'd have a stroll along memory lane and have one of Chubby's fantastic cheeseburgers.

Oh dear. Oh very dear.

What has happened there?

Ok, on the face of it as you walk in, very little. Same seats and tables. Same decor. Same menu board (just a lot more expensive).

First sign of trouble - no one there. It used to be packed with punters and staff. Eventually a sullen looking lady served me.

I went for the cheeseburger - I used to love the cheese they put on. I thought a half pounder was too big so went for a quarter pounder.

But the burger was not.

First of all they must just use a standard size bun for both sizes of burger. Because it dwarfed the quarter pound burger. I was a few bites in before I got to the meat.

Could the legendary cheese sauce rescue it? No. Nothing like the original at all. A cheap premix processed gloop. All it did was soak into the dry bread.

Overall, whoever has taken over there has done a great job of destroying what once was a great burger bar.

Memory Lane you say.....?

Was on Cambridge Street when i was a lad..:hihi::hihi:

Oh dear. Oh very dear.

What has happened there?

But the burger was not.

Salad,you say? Chubbys has gone downhill. Something must have gone badly wrong with today's drunks. Salad indeed!

Salad,you say? Chubbys has gone downhill. Something must have gone badly wrong with today's drunks. Salad indeed!
Genuine LOL :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Daven QFT - the skinful is mandatory I'm afraid.

We dropped in there around 3 weeks ago IIRC (I'd never been yet, in the 20-odd years I've been round'ere - for shame) and it was as delightful as Popeye's (Rotherham's local equivalent, on Ship Hill) :thumbsup:

Rose tinted specs I think.

Chubbys was and is only good when you've had a skinful ! Clearly you hadn't had enough to drink !

And it was always a bonus if you got to the front of the queue, served, then back outside, without someone wanting to punch holes in ya eyeballs.:hihi:

And it was always a bonus if you got to the front of the queue, served, then back outside, without someone wanting to punch holes in ya eyeballs.:hihi:

When I was younger, me and my mates used to go to Chubby's quite a bit after closing time.

One night we went in and I must've said something to upset one of the 'clientelle' (didn't mean to, honest) who was a bit worse for wear.

Anyway, he wasn't dead chuffed, and said (Sheffield accent) 'Nah den dee ... wanna feight?'

I responded quick as anything with a somewhat giggly 'Seven', much to my mates amusement. It took about a week for the black eye to get back to normal. :P

When I was younger, me and my mates used to go to Chubby's quite a bit after closing time.

One night we went in and I must've said something to upset one of the 'clientelle' (didn't mean to, honest) who was a bit worse for wear.

Anyway, he wasn't dead chuffed, and said (Sheffield accent) 'Nah den dee ... wanna feight?'

I responded quick as anything with a somewhat giggly 'Seven', much to my mates amusement. It took about a week for the black eye to get back to normal. :P

Haha! Nice one.

I tasted the flesh of many fists (mid 80s), in there. Never went home hungry.:P