Bands at the Top Rank.

They had a sunday rock club.. and they had a sucession of bands there..

I saw

Jenny Haans Lion

Edgar Broughton

Motorhead (supported by The Motors)

Judas Priest (Sad Wings of Destiny Tour - immense!!)

I know AC/DC played there on I think their first UK tour, but I missed them.

Richard

I was recently talking with an old friend about bands we saw at the Rank the ones that come to mind to name a few were AC/DC Elvis Costello and the Attractions The Beat and one of the best live bands I've ever seen The Undertones the place was bouncing that night.

Certainly was, all the band (apart from Feargal Sharkey) came into the Marples for a pre-gig pint and were sat chatting to us, great bunch of lads and a great gig.

---------- Post added 24-07-2014 at 15:28 ----------

I remember seeing the Stranglers and getting the keyboard players autograph on a pack of Embassy No 10s. I think the support band were the Human League in their early days and they were playing behind plastic screens because the punks would chuck beer & gob on them.

I also saw the Pretenders and I think Siouxsie and the Banshees there. I even played there at one of the Battle of the Bands nights. Can't remember who won, but we came last.

What was your bands name? I went to a few of those.

---------- Post added 24-07-2014 at 15:30 ----------

The Damned, Stray Cats, Adam and the Ants, all around 78/79. We had this venue, the uni', the poly, the City Hall, The Leadmill and The Limit all pulling in class acts.How lucky we were in those days!

Yep, great gigs, great venues and great times. I used to go to NowSoc (The Now Society) venue, at the students union in Broomhill, and the Nelson Mandela building in Pond Street (met The Jam there in 1979 and they took me and my mate in for free, to watch the sound check).

---------- Post added 24-07-2014 at 15:31 ----------

I think it was called Improvision.

You could get also free tickets from Revolution records on the gallery above castle markets.

I saw some great bands at Improvision and some not so great, just cos it was free or cheap. Happy Days

Saw some awesome bands at Top Rank, many already mentioned, saw The Clash at least once, The Jam, Stranglers several times , Boomtown Rats, Stray Cats, . It was around the time of rock on the rates which also had some great bands, all free.

I am sure my first "Improvisions" gig was The Jam, 1978, it was a Sunday night, on the "In the City" tour.

---------- Post added 24-07-2014 at 15:32 ----------

The Ramones in 1980

Yep, I was there for that, a great night.

I used to go loved it saw loads of Bands can't remember many now but the couple that stuck out were Eddie and The Hot Rods and Styx (before they got famous and went rubbish). Remember AC/DC played but I was unfortunately on holiday that week it still galls me to this day that I missed seeing them with Bon Scott!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Old thread here.....some Oldies on Sheffield Forum.!

In my day I saw a lot of bands, Good, Bad and Ugly at the Top Rank/Roxy's, notably, The Skids, with Bill Nelson as guest on encore, Buzzcocks in October 1978 when support "Joy Division", Blew them off stage!! and Culture, Joseph Hill and all. Legendary stuff.

Edited by dropout
spelling mistake