UFO sighting, debunk it for me

I'm not saying your definition is incorrect merely pointing out that its just one of several in circulation, including the definition I used. There are at least two types of debunker. One uses the dialectical approach to debunk the more sensational claims about UFOs by pointing out the flaws, contradictions and absence of logic in the 'believers' arguments whereas the other type dismiss, admittedly often arcane theories based on nothing more than their own prejudices, hidden agendas etc etc. Healthy skepticism is to be applauded and encouraged but ignorance and prejudice we can do without. Thats all I'm saying

Yeah but my definition isn't mine, it's the OED's (I even provided the link as such). Where on Earth did you get yours from?

About six weeks back and while at Avebury for the summer solstice i saw a ufo, yes, a UFO, ok, bear with me and read on, don't judge me just yet.

A bit about me.

I've been into astronomy for over 20 years, i know the night sky inside out, i've seen all the messier objects in the northern sky, i have a loft full of deep sky photographs that i've taken myself, i'm familiar with just about everything you could see in the night sky, i often take pictures of the space station, shuttle in orbit during passovers, jeez i'm such a saddo i watch all the iriduim passovers too so you know i know my way around the "heavens."

Thing is, what i saw late one summer night i just can't explain, though i'm inclined to believe it was some kind of set up due to the circumstances.

The night in question i was i was giving a "guided tour" of the skies to a party of 6 people from inside the Avebury henge / circle at about 3.30 am when the sky eventually cleared.

Well anyway i eventually got around to the constellation Lyra when on the horizon appeared what i first believe to be a satellite, i drew the parties attention to this and suggested we watch it a while, we watched it as it came almost over head and entered Lyra, what happened next i can't explain.

The object entered Lyra then stopped, up till then it behaved just like any of the thousands of satellite pass overs i've witnessed, it stopped moved back on itself then back to it's original position at which point one of the party asked if that was normal, well i said nope, satellites can't do that, i have no idea what it is, it then did something that left me gobsmacked....

Ok a little more info before i go on.

Now i'm familiar with the movements of satellites, as you may have gathered by now, the space shuttle orbits at around 17'000 miles per hour and it's speed is seemingly constant, i'm pointing this out so you know my experience on this subject.

Ok, back to the "ufo".

The object, from a stationary position shot from Lyra into cygnus within less than a second and then returned to it's original position within Lyra in the same way, instantaneous.

I know the cloud base that night was about 1000ft, the object was obscured quite a few times by the broken cloud, it did this about a dozen times over the 30 minutes or so we watched it.

Now by my estimates for something to perform these maneuvers it would have to travel at least 70 - 80'000 mph and that's being conservative, i'd say it would have maybe been nearer 250'000 mph, ok have a good laugh then read on.

Now i know from experience it's almost impossible to judge altitude and speed without certain measurements being take in the field and at the time so don't get me wrong here, i'm just basing this on the cloud base and my own observational experience.

Well moving on, i'm a level headed person, i've run astronomy groups for kids, i often take small groups satellite observing so i'm no fool when it comes to the night sky.

To get to the point, i want this debunked, myself, because of the circumstances i believe it was some elaborate hoax, a set up if you will, look at it this way.

At the altitude it was seen from Avebury it's possible it would have also been seen by the 36'000 people at Stonehenge 18 miles away that night, if my calculations are right, 36'000 people, plus the 1000 or so at Avebury who because of the atmosphere, the free flowing drink etc would be very open minded to believing "they" were here.

Thing is i know of no technology that could have been used to carry out this hoax, model aircraft as someone has suggested just couldn't move at such speeds even if fitted with mini jet engines, i've absolutely no doubt about that, even the best jet fighter couldn't perform such a maneuver covering such a tract of sky even at 300 ft altitude.

I don't for one minute believe this was visitors from another world but i'm at a loss to explain what i witnessed that night, something i've not seen the likes of in over 20 years watching the skies.

By the way, it wasn't the drone that was watching the crowd at stonehenge that night before anyone suggests that, it doesn'y fly at an high enough altitude to be seen from Avebury nor could it carry out such amazing maneuvers, it also doesn't travel silently like the object we saw did.

Please feel free to throw at me any intelligent questions you may have regarding this.

suggestions / opinions please.

My feelings are that a lot of the things seen in the sky that defy belief are man made but highly secret craft.The prime culprit being the USA.Its believed that they have found a way of creating anti gravity drives which in theory according to einsteins theory of relativity is definitely possible to achieve.The discovery of the higgs boson particle also proves it is possible.I do not go for the alien theory but secret technology i do believe in.They also allegedly stole a lot of other scientists work including the work of Nikola Tesla who is one of my heros and was hailed as the man who invented the twentieth century.

Edited by area 51

My feelings are that a lot of the things seen in the sky that defy belief are man made but highly secret craft.The prime culprit being the USA.Its believed that they have found a way of creating anti gravity drives which in theory according to einsteins theory of relativity is definitely possible to achieve.The discovery of the higgs boson particle also proves it is possible.I do not go for the alien theory but secret technology i do believe in.They also allegedly stole a lot of other scientists work including the work of Nikola Tesla who is one of my heros and was hailed as the man who invented the twentieth century.

"It is believed that they have found a way of creating anti-gravity drives."

Who is that believed by?

What is the purpose of these craft when we have satellites and drones now?

"It is believed that they have found a way of creating anti-gravity drives."

Who is that believed by?

What is the purpose of these craft when we have satellites and drones now?

Anti gravity drives would be a game changer in space travel and allow massive speeds and distances to be covered.Based on a lot of the sightings and evidence it is thought that the usa may have this technology in secret according to the scientific community interested in these subjects.There is no hard evidence obviously.These objects do exist and show up on radar consistently.Before anyone starts to ridicule me i do not believe in aliens ,just science.

Anti gravity drives would be a game changer in space travel and allow massive speeds and distances to be covered.Based on a lot of the sightings and evidence it is thought that the usa may have this technology in secret according to the scientific community interested in these subjects.There is no hard evidence obviously.These objects do exist and show up on radar consistently.Before anyone starts to ridicule me i do not believe in aliens ,just science.

Ahh, so they are space craft rather than military craft like Aurora? Got ya. But why are they seen in the sky? Shouldn't they be in space?

Is it fair to say that the belief in anti-gravity drives is not shared by mainstream scientists?

Ahh, so they are space craft rather than military craft like Aurora? Got ya. But why are they seen in the sky? Shouldn't they be in space?

Is it fair to say that the belief in anti-gravity drives is not shared by mainstream scientists?

As i said it is just a theory by scientists not involved with the mainstream community.You mentioned the Aurora and i presume you are also aware of the alleged TR3 craft as well.I do not think we should underestimate the technology that could exist that is being kept secret from us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-3_Black_Manta

As i said it is just a theory by scientists not involved with the mainstream community.You mentioned the Aurora and i presume you are also aware of the alleged TR3 craft as well.I do not think we should underestimate the technology that could exist that is being kept secret from us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-3_Black_Manta

But anti-gravity drives are soooo far from existing technology.

Remember the Spirit and Nighthawk were black projects but aside from being stealth are neither that fast nor maneuverable.

I can get on board with scramjet and ramjet ultrasonic aircraft being in development (though as I say, with satellites and drones I can't see their military value, only commercial) but anti-gravity being plausible is off the chart, let alone believing it has actually been achieved and is already used for propulsion.

But anti-gravity drives are soooo far from existing technology.

Remember the Spirit and Nighthawk were black projects but aside from being stealth are neither that fast nor maneuverable.

I can get on board with scramjet and ramjet ultrasonic aircraft being in development (though as I say, with satellites and drones I can't see their military value, only commercial) but anti-gravity being plausible is off the chart, let alone believing it has actually been achieved and is already used for propulsion.

I am pretty sure that we will not be told about any secret technology that exists unless they have to.The Spirit and Nighthawk were only unveiled because they needed to use them during the gulf war and knew they would be spotted so made the decision to tell the world they existed even though they had been flying them for ten years already.Workers who worked at Groom Lake admitted that they are fifty years ahead of what we are led to believe exists.

I am pretty sure that we will not be told about any secret technology that exists unless they have to.The Spirit and Nighthawk were only unveiled because they needed to use them during the gulf war and knew they would be spotted so made the decision to tell the world they existed even though they had been flying them for ten years already.Workers who worked at Groom Lake admitted that they are fifty years ahead of what we are led to believe exists.

The Gulf War was 1991. That implies stealth technology for jet aircraft had been in development since the days when the US was flying the P51. It's nonsense.

Look how long it took the USAF to get the Raptor into combat. Even that isn't a million miles away from the Eagle and it's the most advanced fighter they have.

The idea they have developed anti-gravity propulsion in secret is fanciful.