City Lofts - Sheffield's Tallest Tower (is on the up!)

Hows about a new 'dedicated' thread on this to mark this pivotal moment in the city centres history...

The new development will change the city centre skyline forever and will be seen for miles!

START ON SITE FOR NEXT PHASE OF HEART OF THE CITY

Work on the next phase of the award-winning Heart of the City scheme will get underway next week as the multi-storey car park, Office No.2 and the 9- and 32-storey residential towers all start on site.

(Borrowed) BASIC RENDER (for scale purposes)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/Steelcityrise/9707203d.jpg

DETAILED RENDER

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/images/pics/1884ArundelGateBlock1_pic5.jpg

Construction of the new 520-space car park, set to become one of Sheffield’s most eye-catching buildings with its unique, highly-faceted aluminium cladding, will necessitate closure of the surface car parks at the corner of Charles Street and Norfolk Street from Sunday 2nd July. Although this will cause some short-term inconvenience, the additional spaces created by the new car park, due for completion by the end of 2007, are vital for the city. Alternative car parking may be found at the existing multi-storey car park off Furnival Gate and the surface car parks at Eyre Street and Sidney Street.

Sheffield One Chief Executive, Andy Topley, said: “Heart of the City so far has had a huge impact on both the face and fortune of the city centre, providing stunning new public realm and significant economic benefits in terms of investment, higher rental levels and jobs. The next phase of the scheme will build on this success, bringing more premium office space to meet the ever- growing demand in the city, fantastic new apartments and more much-needed car parking, all of which will further stimulate the local economy.”

Adjacent to the car park, the elegant, Conran-designed 32-storey residential tower will be Sheffield’s tallest building and a landmark in the city centre. Tony Brooks, group development director at City Lofts, developers of the residential scheme, said: "After all the careful planning and design we are looking forward to seeing construction of the towers begin. The first phase of St Paul's Place has already proved its worth commercially and we are confident that these stylish apartments will be a valuable addition, encouraging the growing trend for city living which makes such an important contribution to urban regeneration.”

Councillor Robert MacDonald, Cabinet Member for Economic Regeneration, Culture and Planning at Sheffield City Council said: “The start of construction work on the next phase of St Paul’s Place is an important milestone in the Heart of the City project and marks the beginning of further transformation and further investment. The new multi-storey car park is a crucial part of our strategy to provide a number of new gold standard car parks in accessible sectors of the city centre.”

David Topham, Director of CTP St James Ltd, the overall developers of St Paul’s Place, added: “With so much regeneration activity going on this is an exhilarating time to be in Sheffield and St Paul’s Place goes from strength to strength. The new office space, apartments and car park will show the same high quality and imagination as the rest of the scheme and will bring a new dimension to Sheffield’s skyline.”

Your views? (pardon the pun)

I will shortly go and have my lunch in St Pauls in a pleasant and sunny environment. One of the last opportunities to do so before it is permanently overshadowed by this wonder of the 21st century.

Personally, I think from that picture it's going to look a little odd stuck there in the middle of Sheffield's skyline... in fact, that pic almost makes it look like some min-reconstruction of the World Trade Centre towers!?

What are they building on the site where the sheaf market used to be? I went to park my car their the other day and was surprised to see a building half erected (i don`t get down that end much)

What are they building on the site where the sheaf market used to be? I went to park my car their the other day and was surprised to see a building half erected (i don`t get down that end much)

It's going to be a Hotel and Travellodge will be occupying it. Next door to this is an office block and it is all part of a development called 'the Square'. There is a website showing the development but i can't find it at the minue as i am work.

Not sure what I think really. I do like the idea of a high rise sheffield but I enjoy sitting in the sun outside the winter gardens and I'm sure this would be affected by less light :(

I just hope it doesn't feel chlostrophobic sitting in that sq.

Well said bigflesh.

This tower is pivotal in the status of sheffield. It will be about three times the height of the Hallam university 12 storey building across the road. Absolutely enormous. I have a good idea that I will be able to see the top of it clearly from woodseats! But enormous as it is, there are towers being built in London that are twice as high again, in world terms it is a tiddler, at least it brings us into the 21st century

It does look very out of place in that picture, perhaps it will look better in real life, I guess it depends on how it's constructed, mostly glass would be ok, mostly brick/concrete will look horrible,

Archived