Driving after having a full left hip replacement

Hi People,

On the 4th March I went into the RHH for a hip replacement, all went well and I was discharged the following night. Since then I have been trying to do as much walking as possible (using crutches) without pushing myself too much and I can now walk easily round the flat with 1 crutch. I'm not getting any pain what so ever from my hip, the only pain I'm getting is from the bruises from where they clamp you in position to do the surgery.

I just wondered if anyone else has had their left hip replaced and if so how long was it till you drove again after? I drive an automatic but I left foot brake so I feel I'd be safe enough as I can move my leg enough to slap the brakes ok.

Anyone had experience?

My professor had his hip replaced and took at least a month to drive again, but that is a manual car. I also suppose it takes longer/shorter depending on fitness and so on. My administrative assistant (she was in her late 30s) in a previous job did not drive at all but she was born with a hip-problem and could not walk properly either, perhaps you can ask your surgeon?

When I have had operations in the past the guidance has always been to follow medical guidance on when to avoid driving has passed, wait until you think you're healed and then to go out with someone else driving and to ask them to go somewhere safe to do an emergency stop and see whether that hurts you. If that's OK then get them to take you to an empty car park or somewhere else safe where you can change places and try getting up to speed and then emergency stopping yourself, and then try a range of movements and manoeuvres.

If that's OK and you don't have pain from it later on then you can try driving short distances, but Motability are likely to want to know that you have had an operation and that you have stayed away from driving for as long as the hospital team advised you.

You must inform your motor insurance company of your operation or your insurance can become void. A lot of companies won't permit you to drive for a few weeks but it does vary.

Hope you continue with your good recovery.

This may not be a good idea as it could make him or her suffer higher premiums even after fully fit again. Leave the car at home if at all poss and get someone to drive you until well again would the what id do.

This may not be a good idea as it could make him or her suffer higher premiums even after fully fit again. Leave the car at home if at all poss and get someone to drive you until well again would the what id do.

the downside of that is that if the op is involved in an incident then they may find they are driving without insurance in addition to everything else.

the downside of that is that if the op is involved in an incident then they may find they are driving without insurance in addition to everything else.

If they're unsafe to drive; the downside could be a lot worse than that. The OP should also consider if they're safe to drive or a risk to other road users. Also, medusa's advice seems wise.