Sheffield immigration and integration

I keep hearing about integration from immigrants in Sheffield and I've witnessed it around heeley/meersbrook/abbeydale/broomhall but I'm wanting to know about integration of immigrants a little further away from the centre of Sheffield, do the people of swallownest,stannington,parson cross,Shiregreen,Beighton,killermarsh, grenoside think to the integration of immigrants in their communities? I accept in these areas the number of immigrants will be far lower.

I keep hearing about integration from immigrants in Sheffield and I've witnessed it around heeley/meersbrook/abbeydale/broomhall but I'm wanting to know about integration of immigrants a little further away from the centre of Sheffield, do the people of swallownest,stannington,parson cross,Shiregreen,Beighton,killermarsh, grenoside think to the integration of immigrants in their communities? I accept in these areas the number of immigrants will be far lower.

Barnsley doesn't have a great deal of ethnic immigration but has a large Polish community. I thought they were integrated quite well until I saw the percentage of the Barnsley vote to leave, followed by the Channel 4 news report from there on Friday, and more recently the personal experiences of a Polish friend. Now I'm not so sure.

Barnsley doesn't have a great deal of ethnic immigration but has a large Polish community. I thought they were integrated quite well until I saw the percentage of the Barnsley vote to leave, followed by the Channel 4 news report from there on Friday, and more recently the personal experiences of a Polish friend. Now I'm not so sure.

I watched that - it was shocking.

They aren't exactly going to show all the normal people though are they??

From why experience the Polish people integrate pretty well and on the whole are very decent.

It's well known in Sheffield though that Page Hall is a total dump, and tensions run quite high there due to immigrants not integrating well.

I cant see where they intergrate, they congregate and live in ethnic groups around the city, London Road, Abbeydale Road, Tinsley are mostly Pakistani, Fir Vale speaks for itself, on Gleadless Valley the Burmese do not mix, they don't try to speak English, only their children speak it. I for one want to live among my own people as the immigrants do.

I cant see where they intergrate, they congregate and live in ethnic groups around the city, London Road, Abbeydale Road, Tinsley are mostly Pakistani, Fir Vale speaks for itself, on Gleadless Valley the Burmese do not mix, they don't try to speak English, only their children speak it. I for one want to live among my own people as the immigrants do.

but you must remember -- integration means the original population giving way to the immigrants, in every way.!!!

Fortunately those that don't integrate are a tiny minority. Or am I not representative of the large integrated migrant population in this city? Would you be upset to live next door to me?

It is this sort of language, as well as this sort of nonsense,

but you must remember -- integration means the original population giving way to the immigrants, in every way.!!!

That leads to alienation of those that did put in a shift to integrate. That do speak the language, that do contribute a hell of a lot to the local economy. If you want to live in a city with just Sheffielders, than good luck, but accept that you have just insulted the silent minority of very well integrated migrants with your un-nuanced language.

PS - don't give me the nonsense that you don't mean me. If you didn't mean me, or the other integrated migrants than you should have made that explicitly clear from the onset. Not only that, I am fed up of hearing that excuse.

For me, a reasonably well off person in what is regarded as one of the "better" areas of Sheffield, my contact with foreign people is mostly with fellow professionals, and their children. They are invariably very aspirational, and incredably normal.

My only other contact is with people running shops, restaurants and similar businesses. Again, they are normal people trying to do their best for themselves and their families.

Other people in different financial situations and in different areas may feel completely differently, and I think I can undertsand why. But from my perspective, I see nothing but positives about the foreigners I come across.

Half way through writing the above, I had a very odd realisation. Up until then I had actually forgotten to realise/remember that my parents-in-law are actually immigrants. They came here nearly 60 years ago. I just don't think of them as such and so wasn't including them at first. I suppose I see them as part of the fixtures and fittings.

We always appear to be selective with our memories,Page Hall and Firth Park have been dumps for decades regardless of the inhabitants.

My family live on the Oval so i know what i'm talking about.

Similarly i've got friends who now live in Spain and live in a nice enclave of English speakers surrounded by English themed bars and shops with no intentions of changing.

Fortunately those that don't integrate are a tiny minority. Or am I not representative of the large integrated migrant population in this city? Would you be upset to live next door to me?

It is this sort of language, as well as this sort of nonsense,

That leads to alienation of those that did put in a shift to integrate. That do speak the language, that do contribute a hell of a lot to the local economy. If you want to live in a city with just Sheffielders, than good luck, but accept that you have just insulted the silent minority of very well integrated migrants with your un-nuanced language.

PS - don't give me the nonsense that you don't mean me. If you didn't mean me, or the other integrated migrants than you should have made that explicitly clear from the onset. Not only that, I am fed up of hearing that excuse.

Well said Tim.

For the record, I'd be very happy to live next door to you. As long as you brought some De Molen back from every trip back to the Netherlands :)