Hedgehog houses

feline01

Hi all,

Not sure where to post this really but thought this was probably the best place:)

We have recently moved house and have just discovered that we have hedgehogs visiting our garden:clap:

As i'd like to encourage them does anyone know where I can buy or have made a hedgehog house and some hedgehog food. . .I know they like meat flavoured cat food but so do my cats:D:bigsmile:

Many Thanks

x

Thats great news they are so cute.The one that visits me i've called harold....

I got a house last year and he uses it,i put loads of hay in there,so was very cosy......You get get the houses from good garden centres,also there are different types.....please leave ou fresh water in a shallow dish but defo not milk.......good luck

Thanks for the replies, I will investigate both suggestions.

Yes, we are very lucky, especially as we have more than one.

I know about the water yes hodgepig, wish everyone did, some people still put bread and milk out for them which as you know makes them really ill :nono:

Will keep you updated, I'm really hoping there maybe hedgehog babies at some point :wink:

Thanks again

x

I dont get hedgehogs in my garden at least I havent seen any evidence. A couple of years ago I used a plastic cat house and put it at the top along with some hay and leaf bedding hoping that some critter may find it handy I am hoping something is finding shelter in it.:D

My sister's resident hedgehog family have two houses in their garden just for their use, all nicely padded out with straw and raised up just a little to stop them from ending up all wet in there. Their garden faces straight out onto moorland and they have lots of hedgehogs and lots of sources of food. Because of their exposed location they have problems with lots more snow than in the city, so in cold weather the children like to check that the hedgehogs are fully asleep and if they aren't asleep they take them some water that's not frozen and some cat food to keep them going until things warm up a little.

Just before Christmas, my partner found a hedgehog behind a large garden plantpot all curled up and asleep under some thin leaves.

He bought a hedgehog house and bedding material, popped the still sleeping hedgehog inside and took it to a new home, i.e., his sister's larger back garden.

Not counting petrol, he forked out almost £40 for this act of kindness! My suggestion is to make your own (see earlier post for details).

Archived