How many Police Officers on duty tonight?

Come on then folks, have a guess. In total, how many Police Officers are covering the following districts of Sheffield tonight (and most nights) until 7am tomorrow?

Sharrow, Highfields, Lowfields, Millhouses, Dore, Totley, Abbeydale, Bradway, Parkhead, Low Edges, Batemoor, Jordanthorpe, Greystones, Ecclesall, Nether Edge, Carterknowle, Brincliffe, Whirlow, Beauchief, Greenhill, Herdings, Hemsworth, Meadowhead, Norton, Norton Lees, Norton Woodseats, Gleadless, Woodseats, Gleadless Valley, Woodthorpe, Rollestone, Bradway, Normanton Hill, Richmond, Handsworth, Base Green, Ballifield, Woodhouse, Hackenthorpe, Intake, Beighton, Waterthorpe, Westfield, Halfway, Coisley Hill, Newfield Green, Woodhouse Mill, Owlthorpe, Sothall, Stradbrooke, Birley, Frecheville, Mosborough, Charnock, Hollinsend.

This list includes communities covered by at least four of the Safer Neighbourhood Areas, including the Woodseats SNA - so why no mention of Lower Arbourthorne & Heeley Green?

I was out on patrol with the Woodseats SNA new police community support officers in both Low Edges and Lower Arbourthorne on Thursday night. These newly appointed officers are working on patrol five nights a week, from 1 until 10, or later if required.

I had earlier held a meeting with the Woodseats SNA Police Inspector, Area Panel Co-ordinator and a Senior Community Safety Officer from 4.30 until 7 that evening, where we arranged to set up a new community safety partnership to cover Heeley, Heeley Green, Lower Arbourthorne & Meersbrook. A meeting of the new partnership will take place at the end of this month, which I have been invited to chair.

Tackling crime and anti-social behaviour involves more than just the police. So, counting the number of police on duty in the middle of the night - when crime statistics demonstrate that burglaries and other crimes dip significantly, proves what point exactly?

Archived