Bassetts flooded?

I thought i heard that Bassets on Pennistone road was flooded quite badly and that it has severley damaged the machinery in there, so much so that they are considering not to re-open the dept that was affected and that this is the beggining of the end of this poor performing site. I dont know if this is true or not but thats what ive heard.

This wont be popular but I wont miss it when its gone, yes it has a long history and has created work for a lot of people in sheffield through the years but it has gone down in my estimations recently. I worked there a couple of years ago as an agency temp and i quickly found the core Bassetts staff, most of witch are old and have worked there for donkeys years and are quite set in there ways would look down there noses and talk down to agency staff, you were made to feel second class, so when i eventualy left there i had nothing but resentment for the place. Some of my freinds have told me that when they have tried to get work there through the Ranstad agency they keep getting fobbed off. The reason for this is because the factory would rather employ foreign agency workers because they can get away with paying them less than they have to pay us which is completley immoral in my opinion. So if Bassetts has flooded and has to close- GOOD RIDENCE :mad:

I believe the Bassetts factory is owned by Cadburys- who have already announced large cuts in manpower - I'm not sure if the sheffield factory was already one earmarked for closure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it now closes.

Cadbury Trebor Bassett reopens to staff tomorrow, possibly to look at the cleaning required and make an assessment of return of production.

They were closed since Monday and were indeed badly affected.

As some of you know, I work there, in management, but not site management. It is owned by Cadbury as the name, Cadbury Trebor Bassett, suggests.

It was very badly damaged last week and some production is being transferred as quickly as possible to other CTB owned sites. SOme things, such as allsorts, won't be transferred as the manufacture is too complex (as far as I know).

There are no known plans to close the factory. I'm not saying it wouldn't be considered, but I believe that the site has much to offer.

As for staff, I cna't really comment as I don't have much to do with site manufacturing but generally people are very nice. Agency staff? I can only give my own personal opinion is that many agency staff I've come across in other areas of work, couldn't give a monkeys uncle about the place or the work which is probably why 'regulars' get a bik narked...foreign workers? In my opnion, they work VERY hard and are very polite.

Not sure about the site opening today? I've not heard anything yet.

Company I work for employs a lot of Polish staff. 160 employees overall. Before the influx of polish workers an average month would see a turnover of 29 staff, on average. Obviously you don’t want to have to train 29 staff every month.

You have to be able to rely on your workforce and if someone doesn’t even bother to let you know they’re not turning up, what’re you supposed to do?

Experience has shown our company that the foreign staff turn up, on time and work.

End of the day, they want work. Who’d you employ?

1. Someone who can’t be bothered to get out of bed to call you?

2. Someone who’s motivated enough to have moved country to better their lot?

Company I work for employs a lot of Polish staff. 160 employees overall. Before the influx of polish workers an average month would see a turnover of 29 staff, on average. Obviously you don’t want to have to train 29 staff every month.

You have to be able to rely on your workforce and if someone doesn’t even bother to let you know they’re not turning up, what’re you supposed to do?

Experience has shown our company that the foreign staff turn up, on time and work.

End of the day, they want work. Who’d you employ?

1. Someone who can’t be bothered to get out of bed to call you?

2. Someone who’s motivated enough to have moved country to better their lot?

Im hearing you. The polish people i worked along side were amazingly hard working, but they were being payed less than i was and thats just not right :(

Not right, but when I worked agency it was the same. They aren't on a lower rate because of country of origin, but because they're agency.

You've probably seen the same, that if they are good workers they're taken on and their lot improves.

Archived