48 button lane in 1861

roughy101

There was a pub called THE ANGEL on Button Lane as to it being the one you mean I dont know, you can get a photo of The Angel in loads of books about Sheffield.

I can remember Button Lane but the pub had gone by then.

hello Jenny,

The first thing is, that '48' is not a house number, it is the census schedule number.

The pub is called the Sportsman's Cottage. Michael Liversidge's book on Sheffield Pubs says that this was number 74. Douglas Lamb in his book on Sheffield pubs, agrees, and says it was open from 1825 to 1908 (though I don't know the source of that information).

There are quite a few photos of Button Lane at Picture Sheffield but I can't find one of that part of the street. A lot of them are of the Angel and other buildings at the eastern (low number) end.

Hugh

The numbering seems to have changed between 1861 and 1891. In the latter year The Sportsman (which I take to be the same pub) is number 104. In White's 1901 directory 104 is a beerhouse. It is still a beerhouse in 1919/20 (White's again) despited Douglas Lamb's dates.

Hugh

Originally posted by HughW

The numbering seems to have changed between 1861 and 1891. In the latter year The Sportsman (which I take to be the same pub) is number 104. In White's 1901 directory 104 is a beerhouse. It is still a beerhouse in 1919/20 (White's again) despited Douglas Lamb's dates.

Hugh

thanks hugh,what threw me was in the 1861 census you cant read william wild occupation,but it didnt look like innkeeper or anything similar,is it possible to look at whites online,thanks for your help, jenny:thumbsup:

I think you mean John WILD's occupation?! William was the 15 years old. John is listed in 1861 as 'sheersmith & publican'. As it happens, William is also listed as "sheersmith".

People often combined another occupation with running a pub.

Hugh

Originally posted by HughW

I think you mean John WILD's occupation?! William was the 15 years old. John is listed in 1861 as 'sheersmith & publican'. As it happens, William is also listed as "sheersmith".

People often combined another occupation with running a pub.

Hugh

thanks, william was my grt grt grandfather and john was my grt grt grt grandfather, what on earth was a sheer smith,is it possible to view whites on line:thumbsup:

There are several Sheffield directories on line on the Historical Directories site, including 1862.

I'm assuming 'sheersmith' is a mis-spelling of 'shearsmith'. There were several firms making sheep shears in Sheffield along with other edge tools. If you search for 'Shear' in the 1862 directory on that site you will find them.

Hugh

Archived