Disappointed with 2nd hand electric bike - any advice?

I bought an electric bike 2nd hand, it's pedal assisted, no throttle, it's about 3 years old and it's quite heavy, about 28kg with a 24V battery. I had bought it hoping I'd be able to cycle uphill to work on it and I am really disappointed that it doesn't make much of a difference and I still struggle uphill.

I am wondering whether it's the battery that is knackered (how could I find out?) or whether I should have gone for a more powerful or less heavy bike?

I deliberately wanted to go for a pedal assisted rather than a moped-style one to make sure I am still cycling and exercising, but this is simply not working for me.

Has someone got experience with electric bikes and can advise me?

If these gadgets were any good I would have one tomorrow. I am not fit enough to cycle normally anymore so one of these would be the answer to my prayers. I could ride in country parks etc, these are all places where motorbikes are banned. Why cant disabled guys use low power quad bikes ?? It would give us back our access to the outdoors and to rough terrain. As long as they were low power, 7 mph gadgets then they wouldn't pose any annoyance to anyone. The current range of electric scooters are totally unsuitable for use in woodlands etc. I envy the mountainbikers but I cant afford a horse....which is legal.

Hm, that's a shame, your replies reflect what I was worried about all along, that an electric bike might not be the solution to cycling uphill after all!

Hi Neeeeeeeeeek,

whereabout on Shoreham Street is this battery place? I'd surely like to have it tested first before investing any more!

Yes they're rubbish really, that's the reason the other person was selling it. You should be able to sell it on quite easily though.

:loopy:

Here is one that i am building!

I'm going for full electric and style!

:D

To the OP

There are only three things that can go wrong.

Batteries

Controller

Magnetic motor

minor problems

wiring

fuses

Do you get any power assist at all?

Do you dabble with electronics?

:loopy:

Here is one that i am building!

I'm going for full electric and style!

:D

To the OP

There are only three things that can go wrong.

Batteries

Controller

Magnetic motor

minor problems

wiring

fuses

Do you get any power assist at all?

Do you dabble with electronics?

Hi,

thanks for your reply. The power assist is working, I can feel it kicking in when I pedal. My partner was tryring the bike out too and he said he thought the back wheel was dragging.

No, I don't dabble with electronics, not a clue, to be honest. Have you got a suggestion what I could try?

Just looked at the chopper, lookin' good!

Archived