Is this parking ticket fair and legal?

Put in place the required legal order and signs / lines, just like any other legally enforceable restriction.

I don't know if you meant to be obtuse but what is

"the required legal order" and where could the details of the order be checked.

Would the order specify "road X and all side roads within 4 metres" or simply make reference to where the signs were or something else?

On Friday night I left my car in Victor Street Hillsborough. I knew I would be leaving it overnight so ensured I wasn't blocking anyone's drive and knew that the main road was a clearway so didnt want to cause any obstruction the following morning during rush hour. When I parked I looked for any signs or markings on the kerb edge etc but saw nothing.

When I returned to my car I had been given a ticket for parking on a clearway even though so far as I know Victor Street isnt a main road, its a side street.

I would have thought to be legal the road has to be subject to an Urban Clearway Order?

Has anyone else been in this position? If so did you appeal and was it successful.

This is the best money maker that Sheffield Council have .

They put up a small sign often at different measured positions on various obscure Streets where there are no yellow lines and where the streets in question are often deserted especially at week ends.

The unsuspecting motorist then looks around and thinks I am dead safe to park here ! ten minutes later returns to find a parking ticket on the screen.

All the small roads on Langsett and Infirmary and as far as Middlewood Rd are effected and you can bet Nuffields millions that if you slip up and park [because there are no yellows] you will have a ticket within ten minutes.

They must have camera's on these spots as it is impossible to be just a normal patrol officer .

It is a council money making situation as plain as the nose on your face.

---------- Post added 13-01-2014 at 12:48 ----------

Have a look for road signs on the side street.

There should be a Clearway sign http://www.learning2drive.co.uk/images/clearway.gif on one side and a Clearway/End sign on the other.

They will be around 10 yards from the junction with the main road.

Parking between the junction and these signs is illegal.

Basically, a clearway usually extends 10 yards up the side streets to allow safe exit from the clearway without stopping (and getting a lorry up the bum!).

If there are no signs at all, the clearway has not ended?

Ten yards you must be joking.

Some are three mitres,[ Dudley Road] and some are thirty mitres ,Bedford Street. so no case that these are for safety measures due to being on a tram route or else they would all be the same distance.

It is a money making scheme and daylight robbery.

They must have camera's on these spots as it is impossible to be just a normal patrol officer .

It is a council money making situation as plain as the nose on your face.

Nothing like a bit of gross exaggeration to spice up a debate is there?

They don't have any cameras to enforce parking. All of the tickets will be issued by a CEO on street.

The clearway restrictions go up the side streets for safety reasons, you can't have vehicles trying to enter the side street getting stuck by being obstructed by oncoming or parked vehicles as they would obstruct the tram if they can't get into the side road and get out of the way. It's a basic safety issue.

These restrictions have been in place fo rmany years, people should be used to them. Clearways aren't denoted by yellow lines, so they can't use them.

Nothing like a bit of gross exaggeration to spice up a debate is there?

They don't have any cameras to enforce parking. All of the tickets will be issued by a CEO on street.

The clearway restrictions go up the side streets for safety reasons, you can't have vehicles trying to enter the side street getting stuck by being obstructed by oncoming or parked vehicles as they would obstruct the tram if they can't get into the side road and get out of the way. It's a basic safety issue.

These restrictions have been in place fo rmany years, people should be used to them. Clearways aren't denoted by yellow lines, so they can't use them.

And so the one on Dudley road that is around 10 ft into the juncton will stop an artic getting stuck onto the clearway will it.

Or perhaps I am exaggerating.

By the way have your wardens who were found to be parking on convieniantly closed bays been sacked yet.

I live on one of the roads leading onto Middlewood Road, people park at the bottom of the road, in front of the clearway sign all the time. Let me put it this way: It is dangerous and thoughtless, I have no sympathy for people getting fined.

Very frequently the tram has to go full-stop because someone turns into the road and can't go anywhere as there are cars parked illegally and someone else is coming down it.

And so the one on Dudley road that is around 10 ft into the juncton will stop an artic getting stuck onto the clearway will it.

By the way have your wardens who were found to be parking on convieniantly closed bays been sacked yet.

What bays were these and what were the circumstances?

Wardens can park in certain areas in order to carry out their duties

Erm, why are you dragging up posts from well over a year ago?

Sheffield Forum decided to send me an update about this thread today, I don't know why, I wasn't logged in and hadn't contributed since 2012 :huh: I revisited my ancient comment and saw your reply for the first time.

I prefer the solution of points to fines (although they have to be enforced), more so if the law is going to be applied without discretion. A good, honest driver is unlikely to have lots of points on their licence, and can afford to make one mistake. If they persistently break the law or make mistakes, eventually they will be penalised, and that's fair enough. Ruling out fines would 1) Remove the temptation for the law makers of raising revenue through draconian application of laws - and prevent accusations from the public that this is the case - and 2) create a fairer system, because a fine is nothing to the wealthy.

I just got a ticket this morning for the same thing - aarrggg!

I din't think I was that close to the main rd (that's Middlewood Rd) - I had parked at the bottom of Darwin Rd.

The annoying thing is - on match days it's a nightmare to get a space, I live on that Rd and all the available spaces get taken up by people coming for the match - you move, you lose!

The police seem to turn a blind eye on match days.

Edited by spilldig

Yes, you are.

If you bother to look on streetview, you can clearly see the clearway signs are at least 8m back from the kerbline of Midlewood Rd, they can't go much further back or they will be in the middle of Gilders vehicular access. Count the kerbs if you don't believe me, each one is 3ft.

Yes, you are.

If you bother to look on streetview, you can clearly see the clearway signs are at least 8m back from the kerbline of Midlewood Rd, they can't go much further back or they will be in the middle of Gilders vehicular access. Count the kerbs if you don't believe me, each one is 3ft.

Good job cuttsie's got 8 fingers. ;)