The New Moor Market

Just excuses really! Places like Leeds seemed to be able to sustain a market.

If they get 20 years out of it then it'll be fine.

Unless I a mistaken, Leeds has a LOT more shops and a much bigger market.

In fact the reason Sheffield Market was in such a state is so many people choose to go to Leeds instead.

In fact the reason Sheffield Market was in such a state is so many people choose to go to Leeds instead.

maybe leeds have more polite people and not full of druggies and unemployed

Where is this Leeds? Sounds nothing like the one I've been to.

Depends which part of Leeds, I suppose people who visit Sheffield and only see Paradise Square think we are all estate agents, bankers and solicitors too.

Leeds market is also the subject of contentious plans, to downsize and modernise, I'm not sure it's a great example of a successful market. Leeds market has done better than Sheffield market because the whole city centre has retail investment which Sheffield city centre just hasn't, there hasn't been major investment in Sheffield city centre retail for decades. It's hardly surprising the first major retail investment is struggling, the question is why the council predicted such unrealistic numbers in the first place, where they just trying to pull the wool over the eyes of Scottish widows to get the funding?

Leeds market is also the subject of contentious plans, to downsize and modernise, I'm not sure it's a great example of a successful market. Leeds market has done better than Sheffield market because the whole city centre has retail investment which Sheffield city centre just hasn't, there hasn't been major investment in Sheffield city centre retail for decades. It's hardly surprising the first major retail investment is struggling, the question is why the council predicted such unrealistic numbers in the first place, where they just trying to pull the wool over the eyes of Scottish widows to get the funding?

Im not sure about the figures or basis on which they were made. Once the Moor is full developed, then it would offer greater footfall, but no idea if they can hang on that long. Think their PR and marketing is poor.

I doubt scottish widows would have been duped. They would already have secured the loan and could pursie the council if there was a shortfall. Also as LL of the Moor they would know its potential.

My missus called in today and said the only place queued out was the nail bar, I suppose the punters were on a lunch break and didn't have time to get to Meadowhall.

Times move on, the younger generation shop online or make a day out with a visit to a cinema, a nice meal and leisurely shopping in a nice clean undercover enclosure.

Almost all the outdoor Sunday markets have gone the way of the old Castle Market, soon there wont be enough of us "oldies" left to satisfy the needs for markets, sad, but a fact of life I'm afraid.

and the Div's who built that massive monstrosity that is/was the manpower building - a brilliant way to make the entire area look cheap and nasty.

It has been said on here many times by many people that the real decline of the Moor area set in when they built the manpower building and effectively turned it into a cul-de-sac. I'm not convinced anyone will come forward prepared to underwrite the cost of a major development. The problem now is the city is dominated by betting shops, money lenders and pound shops and until they are turfed out I can't see the Harvey Nicks of this world coming within 5 miles of the place.

---------- Post added 12-08-2014 at 20:19 ----------

Im not sure about the figures or basis on which they were made. Once the Moor is full developed, then it would offer greater footfall, but no idea if they can hang on that long. Think their PR and marketing is poor.

I doubt scottish widows would have been duped. They would already have secured the loan and could pursie the council if there was a shortfall. Also as LL of the Moor they would know its potential.

It probably depends very much on what Scottish Widdow's involvement is. My understanding is that they own the land and paid for all/part of the building. The council rents the building from Scottish Widdows and collects rents (:hihi::hihi::hihi:) from the stall holders. So Scottish widdows is guaranteed a return on its investment. It remains to be seen who pays the council.

I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong on this.

Why do people think Manpower services has blocked anything? Im not aware of there being substantial retail activity on the site where it is?

Please provide a more detailed explanation.

The decline of the Moor iirc and imo was much more to do with Meadowhall, recessions and the way people shop. If there was more money in Sheffield then they wouldnt have a problem finding investors and developers.

One thing I have noticed recently has been all the out of town retail parks, which in conjunction with the supermarkets must have a big impact.