Does the national living wage pay enough?

What do you think?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Not a workable idea.
    • Unfair on employers.
    • Worth experimenting with.
    • Good idea.

Will differentials increase too? I will be getting a 80p an hour rise, taking me past some of my colleagues, so they will need a rise too. Will they just give every employee 80p an hour more?

Its not just about pay those at the bottom more.

I think that will be up to the individual employer. I know some very real problems caused because the increase is being aimed squarely at over 25s. It will mean that some young friends of mine in retail will actually be earning less than some staff they line manage.

If poor people need pay cuts to get them motivated, should that apply to rich people to get them motivated too?

I didn't say cuts. Minimum wage vs living wage is a pay rise above inflation (or so I thought).

However, many people are performance graded in their salary rises each year. If you fail to perform many see no pay rise at all, this being a cut using your example.

Edited by Berberis

What happened to paying what the job is worth?

If you cannot earn enough to live in relative comfort, should you not upskill yourself so you can earn more?

In the cases I see, the minimum wage etc is paid to people doing jobs that have very little of no skill required. So if only unskilled jobs are available to you, are you not reaping what you sowed when it comes to your free education?

I know this may sound harsh, but without the drive to better yourself, why will people bother if the government will keep giving them pay rises? Is there any examples of people working for minimum wage being unable to feed, clothe or shelter themselves? Situations that are not exasperated by external factors such as having children or a disability.

That went out of the window when some people started earning £100,000 a year, (or in George Soras's case, £190,000 AN HOUR.

Many people like teachers, nurses, police, are highly skilled and still find it difficult to afford housing - which, incidently, is not counted in inflation or cost of living figures for some reason, yet is the biggest source of expenditure in most households.

There are many examples of people on minimum wage being unable to shelter, clothe and feed themselves (the working poor) which is why tax credits and and other benefits have been necessary - which in effect means the taxpayer is subsidising businesses.

As for bettering oneself, training is expensive and fewer employers are prepared to fund it, hence our skills shortage. We prefer to import skilled workers from abroad, therefore many of our own workers remain in low skilled jobs.

remind us again ash how many of these so called companies folded because of nmw :roll:

remind us again ric, how many non-skilled/partially skilled jobs had good wages* until this came in?

remind us again ric, how many SKILLED jobs had good wages before NMW?

remind us again about your leftie ideologies about free movement and Labour allowing 8 countries into our work pool, that have shafted our workers, and this was trying to prop it up. It's a joke, and the Tories for bringing in this new way of winning votes with a 'living wage' makes me want to womit!

-

When was the last time you went into a job centre ricgem?

See for yourself.

-

It's people who think like you, and the rest of the ideologists on here who are in the majority, sadly. Morons. Most young people are the same though, so it won't get better.

*YW and bar work, if you are under 30 ric, I'll explain it in simple terms.

---------- Post added 15-03-2016 at 00:38 ----------

That went out of the window when some people started earning £100,000 a year, (or in George Soras's case, £190,000 AN HOUR.

:rolleyes:

Many people like teachers, nurses, police, are highly skilled and still find it difficult to afford housing - which, incidently, is not counted in inflation or cost of living figures for some reason, yet is the biggest source of expenditure in most households.

bold: So why allow more people in here which your beloved Corbyn and the rest of his party wants and has done over and over, allow more people in, 'because everyone deserves a chance'.

It's not a hard question. If you want, you can use QT 'Labour/Green/Cymru' answers like '30% of NHS is imported labour'... but remember they were asked here, like most immigrants since WWII, and although often unwelcomed by a few morons, there is a difference to being asked here, and people just turning up.

Many people like teachers, nurses, police, are highly skilled

These actually aren't 'highly skilled' jobs btw. None pay NMW/NLW which is the topic, and they are all financed by taxes and paid for by the state (us). None make any money for the country, so it's difficult to put a price on, but they are all well above NMW for a semi-skilled job.

There are many examples of people on minimum wage being unable to shelter, clothe and feed themselves (the working poor) which is why tax credits and and other benefits have been necessary - which in effect means the taxpayer is subsidising businesses.

As for bettering oneself, training is expensive and fewer employers are prepared to fund it, hence our skills shortage. We prefer to import skilled workers from abroad, therefore many of our own workers remain in low skilled jobs.

just unbelievable.

I mean really.

Look at the general order...

1. NMW - vote winner for poor people, who actually saw no benefit unless a cleaner for 3 hours a week in a pub*

2. Let millions of good harding people in who can easily undercut us, as they can work for half as much (as well as a few foreign morons coming in too),

3. Tax credits: to make up for the first two **** ups. And now people depend on them.

As for bettering oneself, training is expensive and fewer employers are prepared to fund it

Well I wonder why? :roll:

Just import people to make things cheaper. People want cheap things, and aren't prepared to not use tax dodging companies even though we all know who they are.

Just unbelievable. I just don't believe you are a someone over 12 yo.

*see ricgem post above

Edited by *_ash_*

Because Gordon Browns economic miracle couldn't have happened if they had been included.

remind us again ric, how many non-skilled/partially skilled jobs had good wages* until this came in?

remind us again ric, how many SKILLED jobs had good wages before NMW?

remind us again about your leftie ideologies about free movement and Labour allowing 8 countries into our work pool, that have shafted our workers, and this was trying to prop it up. It's a joke, and the Tories for bringing in this new way of winning votes with a 'living wage' makes me want to womit!

-

When was the last time you went into a job centre ricgem?

See for yourself.

-

It's people who think like you, and the rest of the ideologists on here who are in the majority, sadly. Morons. Most young people are the same though, so it won't get better.

*YW and bar work, if you are under 30 ric, I'll explain it in simple terms.

---------- Post added 15-03-2016 at 00:38 ----------

:rolleyes:

bold: So why allow more people in here which your beloved Corbyn and the rest of his party wants and has done over and over, allow more people in, 'because everyone deserves a chance'.

It's not a hard question. If you want, you can use QT 'Labour/Green/Cymru' answers like '30% of NHS is imported labour'... but remember they were asked here, like most immigrants since WWII, and although often unwelcomed by a few morons, there is a difference to being asked here, and people just turning up.

These actually aren't 'highly skilled' jobs btw. None pay NMW/NLW which is the topic, and they are all financed by taxes and paid for by the state (us). None make any money for the country, so it's difficult to put a price on, but they are all well above NMW for a semi-skilled job.

just unbelievable.

I mean really.

Look at the general order...

1. NMW - vote winner for poor people, who actually saw no benefit unless a cleaner for 3 hours a week in a pub*

2. Let millions of good harding people in who can easily undercut us, as they can work for half as much (as well as a few foreign morons coming in too),

3. Tax credits: to make up for the first two **** ups. And now people depend on them.

Well I wonder why? :roll:

Just import people to make things cheaper. People want cheap things, and aren't prepared to not use tax dodging companies even though we all know who they are.

Just unbelievable. I just don't believe you are a someone over 12 yo.

*see ricgem post above

you been drinking ash :hihi:it will probably look different to you today your little rant :hihi: btw I asked you a simple question and again you didn't answer it :roll:

No matter how much education and experience you have it takes little for things to change like your health, an accident, a large industry closing down (steel workers).

Not much is needed to put an educated skilled worker with a decent wage back on unemployment or the minimum wages.

you been drinking ash :hihi:it will probably look different to you today your little rant :hihi: btw I asked you a simple question and again you didn't answer it :roll:

What had this simple question got to do with what I wrote?

The whole thing is just a step further into this nonsense. It's probably too late to reverse the lot now.

The NMW was a disaster, and continues to be.

remind us again ash how many of these so called companies folded because of nmw :roll:

No. The new so-called 'National Living Wage' does not pay enough to support a decent standard of living. It's set at a very low rate for the North of England. It's even worse for those living in the more expensive parts of the South. Many unscrupulous employer's will now avoid hiring worker's over the age of 25, instead opting for younger and cheaper migrant labour.

Mass immigration means mass profit for the few. At the expense of the many.

---------- Post added 15-03-2016 at 15:08 ----------

The National Living Wage is an increase of just 50 pence per hour over the NMW. The capitalists are screaming with rage and frustration about this. It will lower their profits, and their CEO's will starve. So they claim.

This is the same group of big business people who have always championed and lobbied government to increase the mass immigration of mainly unskilled workers. If they really can't afford to pay 50 pence an hour more, then they shouldn't be in business.