Can I carry gardening tools in public?

Rather than me going and quoting all the relevant legislation on here, I'll save myself some considerable time and point anyone interested to the sticky post on the British Blades Forum, where everything is quite well explained.

It is written by folks who understand the law, and are able to quote it correctly.

For myself, I've retired a couple of full sized multitools to household/workshop use only, and use a Leatherman Juice as an Every Day Carry (often abbreviated to EDC).

I have also permanently disabled the lock on an outside opening multitool I carry in the motorbike toolkit.

Note that, for the purposes of this legislation and others, the locked boot of your car is effectively classed as a public place; i.e. the police can search it without a warrant.

I can remember an episode of one of the Sheffield Police programs, where the Traffic cops speculatively pulled a young guy in a small hatchback; he hadn't been observed braking any road traffic laws.

He hadn't been doing anything else wrong that was publicised, though I guess he may have been known to the BIB.

They checked his car thoroughly and failed to find anything wrong with it, similarly when they searched him, but then searched the toolbox in his car boot, where they found a "locking blade" multitool.

He was arrested, and from what I remember, convicted. Yes, he was a bit gobby, but that's not a crime in itself.

You dont even need a gun case or slip. All you have to have is "good reason" and a certificate that covers the use of it (or have an exempt air rifle/pistol)

Of course if you catch SO19 on a bad day they might well kill you and then apologize afterwards. You could be carrying a chair leg, or just a bit too sun tanned... But either way, you end up dead.

---------- Post added 28-09-2016 at 18:28 ----------

The law considers a knife to be a lock knife if it cannot be completely closed. If you have a leatherman where the blade pivots partially before hitting something, but remains open, then as far as the law is concerned it's a lock knife.

I suspect that you're mistaken, although if you can show the legislation where this is made clear then I'll change my view.

---------- Post added 28-09-2016 at 18:30 ----------

The following is from the article RootsBooster posted. It makes the incident seem to make a lot more sense.

The case related to the night of February 23 when Knowles was stopped by police after leaving the Highweek Inn pub. He was arrested for suspected drink-driving but a breath test showed he was under the legal limit. Police searched his car and found the knife.

Because he pleaded guilty some background details to the case were not given in open court, the Crown Prosecution Service says.

Supt Meakin said in his statement: "At 11.45pm on February 23, police received a report that while Mr Knowles was in the Highweek Inn he had made an alleged threat that he was going to use a knife to harm someone.

"The police were advised that Mr Knowles had left the address in a vehicle.

"The vehicle was stopped a short while later by my police officers, where Mr Knowles was arrested for supplying a positive breath test. A further test at the police station proved he was under the legal drink drive limit."

"The vehicle was searched for a weapon and a Buck Whittaker lock knife was found. The knife is illegal and has a serrated edge."

Supt Meakin maintained it was not a Swiss Army-style knife, as stated in Knowles's court case by prosecutor Philip Sewell.

To be clear, a locking knife is illegal to carry in public.

Owning a locking knife is not illegal, and having it in your car isn't illegal (unless your car has been redesignated as public whilst I wasn't looking).

---------- Post added 28-09-2016 at 18:31 ----------

As for carrying gardening tools, how about when you purchase a stanley knife etc in a shop, do they supply you with a bag?, or do you walk out into the street visible to all?.

Visibility isn't part of the test at all, otherwise hiding your knife in your pocket would be just as okay as carrying it in a B&Q plastic bag.