Chapeltown Park Illuminations

OneofThree

Who out there can remember the illuminations that used to be in Chapeltown park every year. I am sure it stopped during the mid sixties.

It ought to be revived. As I remember there used to be dancing in the Bandstand and hot dogs, fish and chips, etc. As a child I remember it as a magical experience.

Wow, you've just stirred a memory that hasn't seen light of day for many a year.

My Dad took me and my kid brother to see the lights. It would have been 1963 (ish) and the theme of the lights that year was Nursery Rhymes. I distinctly recall The Old Woman who lived in The Shoe, and Jack and Jill

That year we also went to Blackpool, but I was more impressed with Chapeltown.

Bring 'em back!!

Yes back in the sixties,we used to go to Chapletown Illuminations from shiregreen,I remember going with my motorcycle mates,me on my BSA bantam!! , does anybody remember the illuminated paddle steamer they had,it was in the stream nr the bridge as you entered the park,also they had a funfair at the back of the Coach and Horses, Happy Days :-)

I remember going to Chapeltown Park illuminations. I think I only went once, but I used to go to functions at the Newton Hall. I never got to Chapeltown much, but I remember going to the cinema in Ecclesfield when I was in me teens. It was nicknamed the Bug Hut. I'm sure quite a few would remember that.

i also remember going to the illumination in the park, i left chapeltown in 1968 and can't remember going after that. the park seemed a great place for fun and adventures as a kid , i went to the whit sing in the park as well.

how long would the illuminations last these days,and at what cost? there isn't even a bandstand anymore so im told.

at least you could look forward to a special outfit at xmas and for the whit walk. im sure i went to the sunday school at the methodist church ,the one on lound side below the school.

I'm glad it's not only me that remembers this. The paddle steamer was in the stream on the left as you entered. It had paddles that rotated. As you went up the park on the right was a huge globe with Sputnik going round it.

If you know where to look there is still evidence of the illuminations. Cables and plugs hidden up trees and in bushes.

The big bandstand has gone, but only a few years ago. The bandstand area is still there with a little platform in it.

Is there anyone with some photos of the illuminations?

I have heard so much about the illuminations in Chapeltown Park, but I am only 22 and so I never saw them. I live in Chapeltown myself and would love to see the illuminations return. The thing is, the park isn't as nice as it used to be, and thugs have let the bandstand go to ruins (or at least it has last time I was in the park). Is there any wonder the community spirit has died regarding such events when there are so many people out to ruin what we have?

My mum and dad always took me to Rivelin and Endcliffe Park when I was little. The river in Encliffe Park was so clean and fresh looking. I played in there for hours at a time... has anyone seen it lately? It is absolutely disgusting - I wouldn't like to dip my toe in there now-a-days and we're not taling that long ago either.. as I said I am 22 next month yet I can see so many rotten changes within the places I am familiar with. Not a nice feeling at all.

I hope things get better :)

It's good to hear that you younger people who never saw the illuminations have been told about them.

Not that many people will know these days what a wonderful park Chapeltown was back in the sixties.

As was mentioned above, the wonder of walking through the park in the dark with hundreds of other people seeing these displays of lights, each a theme, rather like the Blackpool set pieces. Each one was backdropped by the woodlands and shrub beds. For kids at the time it was awesome.

Has the Chapeltown Archive any photos of the illuminations, is there any Archive members who can comment?

This is an interesting local history thread not only for Chapeltown, Burncross, Ecclesfield, Thorpe Hesley people, but for wider Sheffield as well.