Sweet factory on shrewsbury hill

can any one out there remember a sweet factory on shrewsbury hill my sister used to work at granville college and every friday she would call and buy sweets for us old favourites like yorkshire mixtures rhubarb and custard,fishes and many more.

I remember the boiled sweet factory very well.

My gran lived on Park Hill Flats, and the pull up Shrewsbury Road was horrible, for a little girl. My mother made us trek up that hill when we went to see my gran. As a sort of "bribe", she would persuade us to climb the hill by promising that we could stop off and have some sweets from the factory on our way.

If we were very lucky, we'd arrive just as they were rolling out and stretching the mixture, on the long benches at the back of the shop under the windows. we could just see them doing this over the serving- counter.

The sweet, sugary smell was delicious.

the boiled-sweet fishes were my favourites, I loved the white ones that tasted of grapes. My sister loved the red ones best of all.

The building stood, virtually derelict, for a long time in the 80s and 90's, and even into the "nought-ies". About three or four years ago, I noticed there was scaffolding and workmen there.

It seems to have been renovated; It's certainly got new windows and doors on it. I don't know if it's been turned into offices, or if the little cottasge-y thing has been made into somewhere liveable... I am pleased, however, that it's not standing derelict any more.

That's a brilliant picture, neoteric.

That's taken looking up the hill, isn't it, because the "cottage" is only one storey as it faces onto Shrewsbury Rd. It certainly looks as if a decent job has been made of the renovations and the new windows etc.

It also looks fabulous now the stonework has been cleaned; I remember it as being very dark, because of the soot and other pollution back when I was a child

That's a brilliant picture, neoteric.

That's taken looking up the hill, isn't it, because the "cottage" is only one storey as it faces onto Shrewsbury Rd. It certainly looks as if a decent job has been made of the renovations and the new windows etc.

It also looks fabulous now the stonework has been cleaned; I remember it as being very dark, because of the soot and other pollution back when I was a child

Yes you're right looking up from what I believe is now called South Street Park and yes the front - Shrewsbury Road - side is only one storey.

I didn't get a picture of the front because it would mean I had to stand in the road and the picture was taken on my way into work so the road was quite busy.

Yes you're right looking up from what I believe is now called South Street Park and yes the front - Shrewsbury Road - side is only one storey.

I didn't get a picture of the front because it would mean I had to stand in the road and the picture was taken on my way into work so the road was quite busy.

the lower road, where the supertram runs is Granville street. Did you know, those steep little cobbled paths (and that tree-lined grassy hillside there ) were where the original little streets of back to back houses stood?

Hi Bushbaby3

The sweet factory on Shrewsbury Road at the top of Turners Hill (the steep cobbled hill shown on "neoteric's" posting) was named Dixons. Theres a front facing photo of the building on the Sheffield Genealogy & Family History website (plus other related photos). Click on the "Photographic" link then on "Sheffield Street Related".

wag50