ASK.FM Web Bullying & Suicide

A social networking site where comments were posted to a 14-year-old girl who later died after "web bullying" says it will help the police investigation.

Hannah Smith, from Leicestershire, was found hanged on Friday.

Ask.fm allows users to post anonymously and Hannah's father Dave Smith said he found posts on his daughter's page telling her to die.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-23594405

Just another example of web bullying taken to the extreme, I think if people have got in to this girl's head like this then they should be ashamed to even walk this earth, but also, I believe that she could have at least told them where to shove it and stop using the website all together.

Such a sad story but im amazed the parents didnt notice any change in her mood before it got to such a stage.

Unfortunately im not so amazed at the parents "blame the website and lets get it closed" mentality.

I've seen Askfm in us on sites such as Twitter.The things written on there always amaze me. I don't understand what the purpose of the anonymity is. The sole purpose seems to be that of cowardly bullies sending random questions to people. I do also wonder why people sign up for the abuse. I'd say that of all the Askfm questions I've seen, approx 25% have been niceties and the rest have been abuse/people saying they know where people live etc and will attack them and the like!

Ten minutes ago I decided to look at this web site.I was not forced to do so.Same goes for all internet users.

The "social" aspects of the web are no different to the real world, if you don't like a place or feel threatened then don't go back.

Such a sad story but im amazed the parents didnt notice any change in her mood before it got to such a stage.

Unfortunately im not so amazed at the parents "blame the website and lets get it closed" mentality.

Teenagers are secretive and moody. Their moods do fluctuate, particularly girls. You can't blame the parents here! Put the blame squarely on the shoulders of the evil posters.

I do not see why the website allows anonymous posting!

From what I gather this is a site where a user CHOOSES to sign up for a profile page, they will probably then post this on their own facebook pages etc... and their school friends / bullies will see it.

The purpose of the site appears to be random users post questions and comments to which the profile owner responds.

Why anyone would want to have a profile on here I do not know.

The only person responsible for the girls death is the girl, if anyone believes she killed herself SOLELY because of a few comments on some profile (which she could delete any time she wants) then they are deluded.

The site is stupid, but it should not be banned. Parents should take more of an interest in what their kids are doing on the internet (both victims and bullies).

DO NOT CENSOR THE INTERNET BECAUSE YOU ARE A BAD PARENT.

Also

THE MEDIA WANT THE INTERNET CENSORED BECAUSE THE INTERNET HAS TAKEN AWAY THEIR MONOPOLY TO SPREAD INFORMATION/MISINFORMATION.

It annoys me that a website is to blame. It's too easy. I heard earlier that "after 4 months of abuse on the site, the girl took her own life".

After 4 minutes of abuse, turn it off. Forever. If it isn't bringing joy into your life, do something else.

From what I gather this is a site where a user CHOOSES to sign up for a profile page, they will probably then post this on their own facebook pages etc... and their school friends / bullies will see it.

The purpose of the site appears to be random users post questions and comments to which the profile owner responds.

Why anyone would want to have a profile on here I do not know.

The only person responsible for the girls death is the girl, if anyone believes she killed herself SOLELY because of a few comments on some profile (which she could delete any time she wants) then they are deluded.

The site is stupid, but it should not be banned. Parents should take more of an interest in what their kids are doing on the internet (both victims and bullies).

DO NOT CENSOR THE INTERNET BECAUSE YOU ARE A BAD PARENT.

Also

THE MEDIA WANT THE INTERNET CENSORED BECAUSE THE INTERNET HAS TAKEN AWAY THEIR MONOPOLY TO SPREAD INFORMATION/MISINFORMATION.

I agree with this tbh. Although you can add the Government to the list of people who want to censor the information/ability to communicate en mass too.

I'd never heard of the site till the last 2 days, now its constant media bombardment

tbh what I've heard about it doesn't make me wanna go there, there's enough trolls, bullies, racists and bad people on almost all other forums anyway

Archived