Bailiffs-help who do I call?

I have just got home to a letter stuffed through my door saying the bailiffs have visited to seize goods for unpaid council tax for a house I rented over 4 years ago. I have heard nothing about this previously what the hell do I do? I have just got a mobile number to ring-which seems suspect to me. I can't get through to sheffield city council because I don't have a touch dial phone:help:

I have just got home to a letter stuffed through my door saying the bailiffs have visited to seize goods for unpaid council tax for a house I rented over 4 years ago. I have heard nothing about this previously what the hell do I do? I have just got a mobile number to ring-which seems suspect to me. I can't get through to sheffield city council because I don't have a touch dial phone:help:

If you have suspicions, phone the police.

From the Sheff. Council web site

"You can telephone the Council Tax office on (0114) 2736633 any time between 8.30am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday"

luckily I currently have a mobile signal so I am on hold and have been for 10 minutes. I can't get through and this is going to cost me a lot!

I was renting and the house was sold while we were in it-I am sure this is nothing to do with us and we have had no warning-should I call the local police??? I refuse to ring someones mobile!

Same happened to me from 3 years ago for the tidy sum of £20. I bet it cost them more to enforce it.

this is for £600 but the money doesn't bother me, if I owe it I will pay. They can't threaten to take our stuff with no prior warning.

which leads to my second question-who do I complain to?

luckily I currently have a mobile signal so I am on hold and have been for 10 minutes. I can't get through and this is going to cost me a lot!

I was renting and the house was sold while we were in it-I am sure this is nothing to do with us and we have had no warning-should I call the local police??? I refuse to ring someones mobile!

If council bailiffs are involved then there must have been some sort of court order I think...you haven't missed any correspondence from them have you?

Same happened to me from 3 years ago for the tidy sum of £20. I bet it cost them more to enforce it.

That's Sheffield City Council; always picking on the little guy :)

Of course, if you're a land and property developer who screws SCC out of £50 million of prime land (including an airport), SCC won't even ask you for the £1 you promised to them after running the airport into the ground.

Archived