The Cross pub at Low Bradfield

I remember the Cross Pub.It has been there for years and years. The bus used to stop there. If you keep the pub on your left and keep walking you come to the fairy steps. You had to be quiet walking up them and make a wish. The pub was named after a saxon cross was found there. The cross is now in High Bradfield Church. Across the road stood the Post Office and local shop.

I remember the Cross very well...had my (first) stag night in there in 1977 when it was owned by Jack Mirfin, sadly no longer with us.

The pub closed around 1978/9 and the house is currently up for sale. Norman and Lynne Verona, the current owners, have now moved to France.

• 1 month later...
Fiddle players Patrick Walker @Nic Farrelly used to play there on folk nights Great music !

Patrick Walker - saw him many times at teh folk club up at Minnies (Rose and Crown) in Stannington in teh late 70's - great talent - what happened to him?

he's still around....he played with Dizzy Club for a while and what a great band that was. I saw him only yesterday at High Bank petrol station and he looks better than he has for some time.

I remember him at the Horns folk club years ago when he was about 13. I'd just learned a blues piece on guitar by Stefan Grossman called Hard Hearted Hannah, he recognised it and said could he try......and the little git played it much better than I did!

• 5 months later...

Archived