Bradway Public house

Tarquin

It was never a good pub - but had been made worse in recent years by silly management make-overs. If you read what is happening to The Lescar on this forum it will give you a good idea. I personally think that in few years time there will be no such thing as a local pub - they are such bad value for money they will all have to close. By the way, just round the corner is The Mother Redcap it has the cheapest beer in Sheffield from just £1.26 a pint. Maybe the Bradway couldn't compete with that.

Cheers!

It needs someone to come in and give it some suitable direction. Last few managers have gone for the younger crowd with discos, karaoke etc and not had anything worth drinking on the bar. Most of the time when I went past the pub was almost empty, and the few regulars seemed to include youths off Lowedges. This clearly does not work.

It either needs to go in the direction of a proper traditional local, or alternatively down the road of quality real ale and quality fresh food, with prices to match - in the same style as the Coach & Horses at Dronfield or the Cricket Inn at Totley.

It's never going to compete with Sam Smith's prices at the Redcap, and I wouldn't like them to - Sam Smiths does this format well, but when others have tried it in Sheffield they end up with a rubbish brand of beer and a pub full of chavs and alcoholics - not somewhere most Bradway people would like to drink.

In a way I agree with you Andy - but personally i abhor the Cricket Inn type pubs. They charge top dollar for products and service which is not always that good, and I never feel comfortable among that type of clientele. But it would be better for The Bradway to go down that route than be demolished for yet another development of flats.

It 'vaguely' went down the real ale route when it was still a Whitbread pub, and became a 'Hogshead'. It didn't work then, but none of them did.

As you know Andy, some of the Redcap regulars used to use the Bradway before the Redcap opened 25 years ago, and loads have complained that the Bradway has been rubbish ever since.

The only time it was used by the 'bar flies' (of whom I was one some years ago in the teenage wilderness) was if people had a day off, or it was a Sunday, and the Redcap had shut at dinnertime.

It was never a good pub - but had been made worse in recent years by silly management make-overs. If you read what is happening to The Lescar on this forum it will give you a good idea. I personally think that in few years time there will be no such thing as a local pub - they are such bad value for money they will all have to close. By the way, just round the corner is The Mother Redcap it has the cheapest beer in Sheffield from just £1.26 a pint. Maybe the Bradway couldn't compete with that.

Cheers!

the bradway probably could if they sold the same rubbish the redcap call beer.stella, carlsberg?????.....the good beers dont exist there, redcap is a cheap night out but what you save on beer you make up for on toilet roll from the constant gut rot brought on the follwing day by abusing your internal organs with cheap nasty ale!!

In a way I agree with you Andy - but personally i abhor the Cricket Inn type pubs. They charge top dollar for products and service which is not always that good, and I never feel comfortable among that type of clientele. But it would be better for The Bradway to go down that route than be demolished for yet another development of flats.

I see your point, although I do feel the Thornbridge pubs do avoid the annoying habit of making casual drinkers feel unwelcome like a lot of food led pubs do.

Perhaps a better example for what could be done with the Bradway is one of the pubs Abbeydale Brewery run such as the Moon at Upperthorpe or the Rising Sun at Nether Green.

They have a great range of quality real ales and a decent selection of continental beers both bottled and draught, have live music and a quiz night, and a menu of food that is of decent quality but down to earth, all at a price that is reasonable but not cheap. They generally have a pleasant and friendly atmosphere too.

What they deliberatly leave out is the sort of entertainment, British lagers and alcopops that attract the chavs and scummers...

At the Bradway once that is achieved they can start working on making the pub the centre of the community, with pub sporting teams and volunteer groups meeting there etc.

the bradway probably could if they sold the same rubbish the redcap call beer.stella, carlsberg?????.....the good beers dont exist there, redcap is a cheap night out but what you save on beer you make up for on toilet roll from the constant gut rot brought on the follwing day by abusing your internal organs with cheap nasty ale!!

Actually I would disagree. All the drinks are Samuel Smith own brand at the Redcap and are quite cheap, but not nasty.

The Old Brewery Bitter on handpull is a fairly decent ale (even if it is served a little too cold) and the German style lagers are actually pretty decent - although those that normally drink Carling probably won't cope with the fact they actually taste of something.

Sam Smiths are able to do the beer cheap because firstly they are a vertically integrated company with the brewery delivering direct to it's own pubs with a limited choice sold in large volume, also the frills are cut out such as music and TV to save on spending money on licences, these savings are then passed on to their customers.

Archived