Champs closing..end of an era!

GodStar

A chicken champ wrap is one of my favourite meals of all time!

I churlishly never chomped or chewed on a chicken champ wrap in Champs so I wouldn't know. I took the kids and got them the usual skins and burgers. It was average really but not a bad atmosphere - a good take on the American sports bars theme. I appreciated the decent beer.

I reckon it's probably just up for a major re-furb don't you? They'll probably try and convince us that it's altogether new but I think they've got a winning formula there and maybe don't want to drift too far away from that.

It does get a lot of Eccy Road posers in there though, I agree. The problem is, at one time the Eccy Road posers were of a certain class, nowadays it appears less so. It's more chavvy than it used to be imo.

Word is that Champs is to close and be converted to a Thornbrige/Richard Smith of 'Thyme' dining establishment. Not a good change for the Ecclesall night time scene IMO.

Its being refurbished into a cocktail sort of bar I believe.

I doubt It would become a Thornbridge restaurant though as Relish is just down the road.

Its being refurbished into a cocktail sort of bar I believe.

I doubt It would become a Thornbridge restaurant though as Relish is just down the road.

Didn't they try that once before reduced the sports theme and it failed so they went back to the old formula?

Anyway can't see it working if they do you already got sevearl cocktail type bars locally.

I hope they'll continue to sell Jaipur and not at rip off prices, because Champs is one of the reasons we like to head up Ecclesall Road in the summer months.

The Sheaf Island, Champs and Porter Brook make it a wortwhile trip, but take Champs out of the equation and it starts to lack on the real ale front.

Regards

Doom

Not really the end of an era just more like a "slight" change. Champs has been 50% owned by Thornbridge for a considerable amount of time hence all the Thornbridge beers. It is now owned 100% by Thornbridge. As most of the Thornbridge and joint Thornbridge/Richard Smith companies are owned by the same people it is not clear if it will be along a pub theme or resturant theme. But as people have said it is very near to Relish but Relish is always busy so maybe Relish will move to the Champs premises? What is for certain is that it will sell Thornbridge beer, more than likely it will sell some sort of food and hopefully they sort the interior out. I for one am looking forward to it.

Archived