Should we change a name for a film?

I was just reading this story on the BBC News about renaming Guy Gibson's dog for a remake of the Dambusters, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-13727908. I know that certain words are no longer acceptable in this day and age but should we change history just to make a film. Why can they not put out a warning with the film that it is likely to have a word that will offend.

I was just reading this story on the BBC News about renaming Guy Gibson's dog for a remake of the Dambusters, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-13727908. I know that certain words are no longer acceptable in this day and age but should we change history just to make a film. Why can they not put out a warning with the film that it is likely to have a word that will offend.

Why not, Hollywood had the Americans cracking the enigma code in U-571 - Why can't they accurately report that the chap's dog was called ******? Surely the use of one word in comparison to the multitude of filth which is quoth in films is a moot point ... Samuel L Jackson's scripts favour the word motherfudger (or it's nearest equivalent) and 100% of the world's population should find that offensive.

I don't normally tolerate the use of the word ******, it's a hateful word in today's parlance, but in the times depicted it was common description of colour which had no racial basis.

I knew this thread was coming. I don't think it's such a big deal to change the name as the historical fact remains the same. I'm more worried that there's a big US production of the Dambusters movie when the original is such a classic. They're sure to mess it up in more significant ways than changing the name of the dog.

I'm more concerned about the BBC changing stuff that they broadcast, like censoring ****** in the original movie in recent broadcasts.

There was another example on Stuart Maconie's radio show last Sunday when the word ****** was censored from 'The Classical' from this week's featured album, 'Hex Enduction Hour' by The Fall.

But somehow this part had been obliterated from the recording. It also ruined Stuart Maconie's anecdote after the song:

(from Wikipedia)

"In 1984, Motown Records expressed an interest in signing the band to a new UK division and asked to hear their back catalogue. "Hex" was the only album Smith had to hand. The letter the group received back stated "I see no commercial potential in this band whatsoever". Smith publicly speculated that this might have had something to do with the lines "Where are the obligatory *******? / Hey there, ****face" from album opener "The Classical"."

But the film is not about the dog. It's about the RAF destroying the dams in WW2 Germany.

Get over it.

Get over what, the fact that they want to change history? you cannot change it it happened that was the dogs name.

But the film is not about the dog. It's about the RAF destroying the dams in WW2 Germany.

Get over it.

The film was a morale booster for British still suffering from rationing and the economic wreckage of WW2 when it was made. It will be interesting to see how the remake sees the story from a modern perspective and also whether the Hollywood treatment changes anything apart from the bloody dog's name.

Surely the film should tell the story the way it was, warts and all. I would feel patronised if I was of the generation this film is aimed at. Even the slowest members of it would know that this was seventy years ago and some things have changed for the better.

There sensibilities don't need protection by self righteous nannies like Stephen Fry. National treasure? I don't think so.

Archived