Duke of Darnall and Charlie Peace

• 5 years later...

The 'Duke of Darnall' was an eccentric who dressed with bowler hat,gloves and spats who was well known for pretending to direct the traffic, as the police did in those days, around Lady's Bridge and the city centre.He had 'Russian Edna', the woman who was murdered in High Hazel's Park, lodging with him. I'll tell you more when I find the article on this. Charles Peace should be on You Tube or somewhere. He shot a policeman in Sheffield in the 1920's (?) and was famous for distorting his features. His effigy is, or at least was, in Madame Toussaud's, London. My mother, who lived through those years, used to point out a passageway on Leoplold St. where he ran down to escape the police. She also said that there was a bullet hole in the glass of the Town Hall clock fired by Peace.

The 'Duke of Darnall' was an eccentric who dressed with bowler hat,gloves and spats who was well known for pretending to direct the traffic, as the police did in those days, around Lady's Bridge and the city centre.He had 'Russian Edna', the woman who was murdered in High Hazel's Park, lodging with him. I'll tell you more when I find the article on this. Charles Peace should be on You Tube or somewhere. He shot a policeman in Sheffield in the 1920's (?) and was famous for distorting his features. His effigy is, or at least was, in Madame Toussaud's, London. My mother, who lived through those years, used to point out a passageway on Leoplold St. where he ran down to escape the police. She also said that there was a bullet hole in the glass of the Town Hall clock fired by Peace.

not 100% accurate, David.

Charlie peace lived some 100 years before the 1920s (that would have been the era of the Mooney gang in Sheffield)

he was a career criminal, a housebreaker-turned murderer, and he was hanged in February 1879, nearly sixty years before the 20's. He lived from 1832 to 1879.

He didn't shoot a Sheffield police officer, the incident where he shot a police officer was in Walley Range, Manchester, in August 1876.

The murder in Sheffield happened in the Psalter Lane/ Banner Cross area, he shot a man called Arthur Dyson (who's wife peace may or may not have had an affair with) after stalking Dyson and his family from Darnall, Sheffield.

Peace escaped justice for a while, but was captured after fleeing to london, and hiding "in plain sight" for a couple of years, he was betrayed by his mistress, Susan Gray. he played the respectable church-going gent, "John Ward" whilst carrying out his usual burglaries.

Peace was caught after attempting to murder another police officer, in London, a valiant man, Constable Robinson. Robinson held fast to Peace, despite being wounded and Peace was captured.

the legend of Leopold Street is about 2 and a half miles wrong.

The alley peace fled down was between Psalter Lane and Ecclesall Road, by the Banner cross hotel.

Peace's family (mother) lived in the orchard lane/ street area for a while.

The town hall clock legend is also that. A legend

Peace died about 20 years before the town hall clock was erected, so he'd have had a task and a half on him to have managed that.

Edited by Plain Talker
only one "d" in leopold

wernt they buses run by Andrews?? lol

:nod: alongside the bus called "Steel, Peech and Tozer", that's right, andy.

(well I certainly remember the buses called Charlie Peace and S, P, & T:- I am not 100% certain about there being a bus called the Duke of Darnall)

:nod: alongside the bus called "Steel, Peech and Tozer", that's right, andy.

(well I certainly remember the buses called Charlie Peace and S, P, & T:- I am not 100% certain about there being a bus called the Duke of Darnall)

there deffo was a duke of darnall

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/andyrad/Buses/fleetlist.jpg

The alley peace fled down was between Psalter Lane and Ecclesall Road, by the Banner cross hotel.

QUOTE]

Not 100% accurate PT.

The alley was below the Banner, and has now been bricked up and turned into a sandwich shop that has ceased trading. It originally led to the car park behind the row of shops.

A pity really, as Peace fired two shots, one of which apparently left a mark on the lintel of the alley, now obscured by the building of the (failed) shop.