Endcliffe Site?

Hi,

I have always wondered; what was on there on the current University of Sheffield Endcliffe site before it became student accommodation? Did it always belong to the university, was there always some form of student accommodation or was there something else in its place before the accommodation was built?

Do you mean the new student village? In the early 1900's the site was the grounds of Endcliffe Vale House and Endcliffe Grange.

Yep, I've always wondered what was there before it was student accommodation.

I remember going to a St. Marks Church, of Broomhill, Garden Party at Endcliffe Grange around 1955. Afternoon tea cost 1/6.

I also remember delivering paraffin, Esso Blue 10/6 for 5 gallons in 1964c,

to houses on Endcliffe Cresent. One was a large beautiful house occupied by students - it was called 'The Monkey House'. Next door was an even more impressive home occupied by Lt. Col. Gerald Haythornthwaite who was chairman of the Council for the Protection of Rural England. His wife was the daughter of the Sheffield industrialist Thomas W. Ward.

Here's a scan from the 1973 Kelly's directory showing the residents of Endcliffe Crescent. I knew the Haythornthwaites well - fine people. Ethel's younger brother Alan Basset Ward was the A.B. Ward who had the bookshop in Chapel Walk. Ethel died aged 92 in 1986; Gerald continued to run the local C.P.R.E. until shortly before his death in 1995.

Archived