Low energy bulbs, good for the environment?

Q: Does it help save the environment to use low energy compact fluorescent light bulbs?

A: No, because they contain mercury, which is a very deadly poison. Mercury is far, far, worse than lead to life and the environment. Mercury even in very small amounts, literally pulls the nervous system apart of all conscious life, including humans. If you want to be brain dead, just swallow or breath in a few grams of mercury!

If you doubt that mercury has such a bad effect on animal life and the nervous system, please see the following Youtube from the University of Calgary Faculty of Medicine Dept. of Physiology and Biophysics...

And those 'environmentally friendly' light bulbs usually end up in the bin and if they are not broken first, the mercury in them end up in Sheffield's incinerator which then releases mercury vapour into the atmosphere!

What's more, the energy 'wasted' by using ordinary incandescent (tungsten filament) bulbs in winter, is not really wasted much because it reduces your normal heating energy to get the same room temperature.

Thanks for listening... :rant::hihi::):D

John

If you want to be brain dead, just swallow or breath in a few grams of mercury!

Really? I mean, I know it is toxic but that sounds a bit extreme. I mean, they have used it for centuries in the making of all sorts of things, and unless you are exposed to a large amound or are breathing it in on a regular basis (as hatters used to when they painted hats with mercury, mad as a hatter and all that) I didn't think there was that much danger. Isn't it hard to ingest and people who swallow mercury to commit suicide find it doesn't work?

Q: Does it help save the environment to use low energy compact fluorescent light bulbs?

A: No, because they contain mercury, which is a very deadly poison. Mercury is far, far, worse than lead to life and the environment. Mercury even in very small amounts, literally pulls the nervous system apart of all conscious life, including humans. If you want to be brain dead, just swallow or breath in a few grams of mercury!

If you doubt that mercury has such a bad effect on animal life and the nervous system, please see the following Youtube from the University of Calgary Faculty of Medicine Dept. of Physiology and Biophysics...

And those 'environmentally friendly' light bulbs usually end up in the bin and if they are not broken first, the mercury in them end up in Sheffield's incinerator which then releases mercury vapour into the atmosphere!

What's more, the energy 'wasted' by using ordinary incandescent (tungsten filament) bulbs in winter, is not really wasted much because it reduces your normal heating energy to get the same room temperature.

Thanks for listening... :rant::hihi::):D

John

Just to add to that, 65% of the worlds mercury that is released into from combustion, of which coal-fired power plants are by far the largest sourse. So actually, using energy saving light bulbs will mean less coal combustion and so less mercury in the environment, not more, surely?

Did you guys bother to watch the video? Any mercury released into the environment is very bad, including that from coal. Do you think that we should be breathing in Radium, because it is a natural element? Coal does not have to be used and coal is another issue in regard to mercury.

Did you guys bother to watch the video? Any mercury released into the environment is very bad.

Or do you think that we should be breathing in radium, because it is a natural element?

I watched the video, yes.

I would avoid any mercury consumption, and any other heavy metal because they can all poison you, but I do not believe your statement that I quoted. It makes it sound as if someone who breaks a lightbulb will become 'braindead' and that simply isn't true.

Really? I mean, I know it is toxic but that sounds a bit extreme. I mean, they have used it for centuries in the making of all sorts of things, and unless you are exposed to a large amound or are breathing it in on a regular basis (as hatters used to when they painted hats with mercury, mad as a hatter and all that) I didn't think there was that much danger. Isn't it hard to ingest and people who swallow mercury to commit suicide find it doesn't work?
Well OK then breath in mercury vapour instead, because that is what is inside these low energy lamps!

Well OK then breath in mercury vapour instead, because that is what is inside these low energy lamps!

Are you suggesting that low energy lamps give off mercury vapour? Your points seem to be all over the place. Of course if you breath in a lot of mercury vapour you will get poisoned, but I don't see how that relates to energy saving bulbs... you won't suffer any ill effects if you break one, unless you make a point of snorting it.

As for your other point, power plants are the main source of mercury pollution so energy saving bulbs help to cut that down.

I watched the video, yes.

I would avoid any mercury consumption, and any other heavy metal because they can all poison you, but I do not believe your statement that I quoted. It makes it sound as if someone who breaks a lightbulb will become 'braindead' and that simply isn't true.

I wouldn't want to drop a compact florescent lamp when there is a baby on the floor, would you? I have broke a few myself and I can tell you that each time I am not quite as bright as I used to be. Any source of neurological damage should be avoided, don't you agree?

Archived