Why don't fat people pay more (i.e. extra weight) to fly?

We pay the airlines an additional fee for excess baggage, because (apparently) the extra weight means they need to use more fuel etc.

However, a heavy person, who has baggage weighing under his allowance, may have a combined weight (himself + baggage) greater than that of a lighter man who has considerable excess baggage.

Yet, it is the lighter man who will be paying more! Is that fair?

Surely, the fairest thing to do, would be to charge for excess weight on the basis of combined (person + baggage) weight?

Why don't airlines do this?

I think the best way would be to have the excess baggage fee, on the basis of a combined weight of luggage + person. So if you don't weigh a lot, you can take more baggage; if you do weigh a lot, you may have to pay an excess on just a little baggage (or even just on yourself).

However, the main thing I'm curious about, is why the airlines don't do this already?

dont know but they should! i flew back from new york last year and paid extra for business economy, business seats but economy food, i had a huge texan in the seat next to me and in all honesty he took up half my space as well as his own, he snored and kept farting when he was sleeping. i was fuming by the time we landed!

Why should they? if the arms are down between the seats you can only occupy one seat, you are paying for a seat not the weight of the person.

So you're not paying for the extra weight in your person, but you are paying for the extra weight in your baggage?

The point is, the airlines charge us for extra baggage, because the additional weight requires them to spend more on fuel; surely, the weight of a persons' body will also affect how much fuel is required?

I think they should weigh bags, people and hand luggage, and any one over 100 kg pay extra, I could take 50 kg of luggage and my hubbie would still have to pay excess and take nowt! Fair to me! :D

The op confuses the issue of weight with just fat people. Muscle weighs more than fat so in theory, all of the England Rugby team are classed as obese, according to their BMI. Tall people also weigh more than shorter people.

So to the op, how do we go about this now?

Yes, it's not an issue of how fat or obese you are.

It is just an issue of how much you weigh, and in the interest of fairness, that should be taken into account, along with baggage and hand luggage weight, when computing any fee for additional weight.

Else, you have situations where people who are bring less weight on to the airplane, pay more, than those who bring on more weight.

Yes, it's not an issue of how fat or obese you are.

It is just an issue of how much you weigh, and in the interest of fairness, that should be taken into account, along with baggage and hand luggage weight, when computing any fee for additional weight.

Else, you have situations where people who are bring less weight on to the airplane, pay more, than those who bring on more weight.

Private industry has nothing to do with fairness though does it?

Archived