Ken and Gladys (Wheen?) - family history

I know that a friend of my late parents-in-law lived at 60 Birley Moore Avenue, Sheffield 12 on or around 1973. I found an entry to that fact in my late mother-in-law's diary for 1973.

I believe that either her first name or her middle name was Gladys, but her surname has been 'lost', all the photos just refer to Gladys, as does the address. Her maiden name was Russell.

The information is not important for our family tree, but the fact we don't know is irritating, as the families were very close up to and during WW2 - we even have a wedding photo for Gladys (she was raised in Glasgow, but married and lived in Sheffield). Her husband's name was Ken and they were married in Stannington Church (a good bit of detective work by my nephew, from the wedding photo). Ken may have been in the Royal Marines.

Please do contact me if you have any information. Not knowing is driving us mad, because her name pops up more than once - one time in relation to "Woodmere Royal Hospital School, Holbrook".

Here is the wedding photo:-

GladysandKenweddingsheffield.jpg

Hi lizsmith - welcome to the Forum!.:)

The 1968 Kelly's Directory shows GLADYS WORSFOLD at 60 Birley Moor Avenue. I couldn't find a Gladys Russell in the marriages index, but in Jul-Sep 1945 Kenneth Worsfold married Gladys C. McKenzie in the Wortley (north of Sheffield) district. Hope this is helpful!

Hi hillsbro - and thank you for that information.

We knew that Ken's name started with 'W' and the name 'Wheen' was plucked out of thin air, which is weird, because I know there are a few of them in your neck of the woods.

I found a Gladys Tingle marrying a Wheen about then (We didn't know her husband's name was Ken at that time) and had discounted that marriage, as I had tracked down their son and spoken to him.

Looks like you have solved our mystery and the name was Worsfold. Now I just have to figure out why my mother-in-law had her as Gladys Russell, when her name was McKenzie!!

Further to "hillsbro's" post I found a death for a Kenneth Worsfold J/A/S Qtr. 1958, his birth being 1923.

I also found a marriage entry for a Gladys Worsfold to an Arthur Burns in O/N.D/ Qtr 1968 and a death entry for a Gladys Burns born 1918 died 1985, all these entries are in Sheffield.

Again, my thanks, DUFFEMS.

Following the original reply from hillsbro, I had started to discover a bit more on Ancestry, but you have saved me the bother.

Unfortunately, to tie this all together and prove this was the same Gladys, will cost me a fortune at the GRO, so I think I will just take it as read!!

Thank you for all your help - I'm glad I found this forum. If anyone else has any information, or recognises anyone in the photo, please do get in touch or post on this thread. The story isn't over.......

Now I will try to track down Gladys in ScotlandsPeople.......

Again, my thanks, DUFFEMS.

Following the original reply from hillsbro, I had started to discover a bit more on Ancestry, but you have saved me the bother.

Unfortunately, to tie this all together and prove this was the same Gladys, will cost me a fortune at the GRO, so I think I will just take it as read!!

Thank you for all your help - I'm glad I found this forum. If anyone else has any information, or recognises anyone in the photo, please do get in touch or post on this thread. The story isn't over.......

Now I will try to track down Gladys in ScotlandsPeople.......

You could always contact the Sheffield Star newspaper who do a Retro section which is a feature in Saturday's edition, it deals with family history and people trying to find lost relative/friends. Perhaps if you supplied the details someone of the family may recognise the names or even the people in the photo if you supply that too, worth a try.

Good luck,

Duffems

Archived