What would you like to see at Hillsborough Corner?

What do you want to see at Hillsborough Corner?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want to see at Hillsborough Corner?

• Yet another bar!
    • A diner
    • A takeaway
    • Flats
    • Something else (please state in your reply)

This evening I had a lengthy conversation with the infamous Nico, owner of Harios and half of Hillsborough! Just in case any of you are unaware, he owns the row of unsightly, run down, boarded up shops on Hillsborough corner (formerly Oxfam etc) He also owns another half derelict building on Langsett Road and has just aquired the Hairdressers at the end of Taplin Road.

I asked him what were his plans for the buildings and were they going to be left derelict fo another 2 years (or more). He says he isn't doing anything with them because the council and the police won't allow him to open a bar there. He seemed genuinely suprised that they don't want yet another watering hole. His other plans were to open a diner/restaurant, (he said a kind of pop in pop out place like McDonalds) which he wants to stay open after 10:30pm as this is just when things are livening up in Hillsborough.

He said unless the council/police allow him to do this he will "Flatten them and build flats". (the buildings, not the council/police!)

He says he has offered to put up CCTV cameras around Hillsborough at his expense to try and curb drink related trouble but the police/council are having none of it.

I asled him how he would feel if he lived here and had derelict buildings on his doorstep. He says if I don't like it I can always move!!!! As I pointed out to him, not everyone is in the luxurious position he is in, that they have money to play around with. For me, moving is not an option and anyway, why should I move from the area I was brought up in and have always been happy in?

He is obviously a very shrewd buisnessman but what I cannot understand is why anyone would invest money in property that they cannot use for the purpose they want to? Did he not check this out first and ask the relevant departments about planning permission etc?

So now, he sits and waits. Does he hope the council will get so fed up of the state of Hills Corner that they will back down and let him do what he wants? Does he care what local people think? I doubt that.

So then, lets give him a helping hand .......what would you like to see done with the shops at Hillsborough Corner? Do you think we need yet another bar? Do you want a diner? ANy other suggestions?

He says the shop at the end of Taplin Road will hopefully be either a barbers or guess what?? Another sandwhich shop!!!

Oh and if we're really not happy with the state of things round here, why don't we start a petition!!!! (his idea not mine!!)

I'd like to see a well stocked newsagents.. One that has all the latest computer mags would be good so I can call in and read the mags like I used to when the GT in the Precinct was open :D

I voted for "something else", but I don't know what! There's already enough pubs in Hillsborough, and way too many takeaways and cafes.

As for flats (sorry, I think we have to call them 'luxury apartments' these days), I can't imagine anyone wanting to live on such a busy road with all the noise and pollution. Mind you... I thought that about West One, so I know clearly nowt!

I have voted for another bar, I know we may have enough already but I wish that Weatherspoons had got the planning permission they sought. A bar that has no music and serves ok food in a spacious environment would hopefuly attract a different group of people and suit some of us who go regularly to Hillsborough now. Weatherspoons may not have succeeded with the Bankers Draft in ousting out some dodgey customers but I think Hillsborough corner would be a fitting place for a bar, especialy one that could have some sort of open terrace. I would sign a petition Fetishfairy as would many of my neighbours, I think we should STAND UP to the "buisiness man"

AKA hario's owner and be heard loud and clear, he may have money to throw around buying up shops but as residents surely we can have some say especially with the local council

Archived