Sheffield Dog Track

When I lived at Rowland Row at Hyde Park Flats in the Sixties, I had a grandstand view of the dog track down below..On the evenings of the meetings my family used to gather at the window and watch the greyhounds doing their bit, and provided us with a free evenings entertainment.

I understand that the flats have now been demolished..but is the dog track still there???.

i saw the flats being built,my sister was one of the 1st to move in,i used to go to the track and help out,i moved to ropery row and stayed there till they pulled some of them down.the dog track has long gone,happy days tho:)

I thought the only Dog Tracks were Owlerton and Darnall (next to the railway line - long gone now).

Didn't realise there was a track in sight of Hyde Park Flats (unless you can see to Darnall from there ???)

I lived on hyde park when my lad was a tot, over 20 yrs ago (he is 23 now) on Dacre Row (which was on the big block that is now demolished)

Our flat overlooked where the dog track was, beside the St Johns, park, junior school.

The dog track had gone by the time we moved on there (1983). the track closed down sometime between 1974/5 when my aunt moved off, and 1983, when I moved onto the flats complex.

It was replaced by a park: I don't think the park is even there, now.

it is all low-rise houses, these days along manor-oaks road, once you are past the "penthouses" (as hyde park walk etc was called)

I remember the dog-racing there, as a kid, (my aunt lived on lord row, the one below yours, Timbuck, and the one above mine)

we could see right down, onto the track, and watch the races from the balcony.

It was very atmospheric, on a cool dark evening, to look down and see the lights, hear the shouting of the crowd, and see the dogs, racing round and round.

so, yes, sorry, the track was long-gone, by the early '80's let alone by the early 1990's when the big block was demolished after the world-student games fiasco of 1991.

PT

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

My father was the first "Grader" at Owlerton dog Track in the 30's, Frank Swann. He is now 90 and still going strong. He was also a Dirt Track Rider and still has Owlerton grit in his hand after a spill.

I knew a guy called Ted Beer, he had a scrap tyre business near the Hyde Park track, he used to give me tips and they were always winners. Actually he gave me three, two on dogs at Hyde Park, and a tip on a horse at, I think it was Wincanton. I think Hyde Park was what they called a 'flapper track'.

• 1 year later...

Can anyone remember the Club at the Dog Track..it used to have some great nights entertainment..bands playing untill midnight sometimes..some of the residents of Hyde Park complained of the noise but I didn't co's I was usually enjoying myself inside the Club

Archived