People should have their council tax bands revalued to make them pay more

chem1st

Most places in Sheffield are Band A council tax. Band A properties are those which were worth less than £40k in 1991.

Current data is only available till 2009. In 2009, the relative worth of £40,000.00 from 1991 is:

£64,000.00

using the retail price index

£62,800.00

using the GDP deflator

£78,900.00

using the average earnings

£86,700.00

using the per capita GDP.

However most of the houses in Sheffield are supposedly 'worth' a hell of a lot more than what they were comparatively in 1991.

Anything over £90000 now should have its council tax band increased, if it is band A. All properties should be re-banded.

Advantages of this would be to encourage people to price property realistically, people with expensive property would pay a fair amount of tax. Council revenue would increase and cuts need not be implemented.

What do you think?

I don't think it's people who are living in BAND A properties that need to be paying more tax.

I would like to see more tax on bankers bonuses, and big corporations like Vodaphone and Boots, being made to pay what they should, there should be no cutting deals, and no shifting money overseas.

I don't think it's people who are living in BAND A properties that need to be paying more tax.

If there Band A property is worth what a band C property should be worth due to inflation, then surely they should be paying the higher rate.

:loopy: you for real with no pay increase in 2 years fuel prices soring and vat increased

Council tax is a tax upon property relative to its value.

Some people are not paying the fair amount of tax.

It would be like saying a person earning £3000 a week who should be paying 50% and is only paying 32%, should only pay 32% because petrol went up in price a bit.

Archived