James Dixon & Sons Stainless Flatware

I have a set of six stainless steel dinner knives made by James Dixon & Sons, Ltd., Sheffeld, England (the knives have the trademark french horn used by Dixon & Sons). The handles are of bakeolite, which indicates they were made in the 1940's or 1950's. I purchased them at an antique store in State of Washington USA.

I am looking for other pieces of the set. Does anyone know anything about James Dixon and Sons stainless flatware manufactured around this time. I have looked now for several years on e-bay and on the internet for information as to where I might purchase more of this flatware and have come up with nothing. I would love to connect with anyone who has some information about where to find pieces of this flatware.

I have dealt in antiques for many years and have had lots of dixon's cutlery over the years .There is still a lot about as Dixon's were a major manufactor of cutlery and hollow ware .Bakelite handles maybe , but more likely to be " Zylo" a patent ivory substitute like plastic , which stinks if you accidently leave it on the stove .There are so many different patterns ,sizes and ages that you will have difficulty matching them , but it is possible .

Out of interest , the old Dixon's works have been converted into apartments

• 1 month later...

I THINK I HAVE WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR I HAVE A 36 PIECE SET OF WHAT YOU DESCRIBED IN ABSOLUTE MINT CONDITION INCLUDING ,DESERT SPOONS,TEA SPOONS,SOUP SPOONS,LARGE AND SMALL FOFKS INCLUDING LOTS OF KNIVES YOU ALREADY HAVE WITH A 12 INCH CARVING KNIFE.JUST OUT OF INTEREST HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY FOR YOUR SET OF SIX KNIVES?

My mother worked at Leppingtons for many years, they were cutlery makers. My mam told me it was spelled 'xylonite'. Great word to remember when we had quizzes at school. My favourite quiz was the one where somebody would say the first letter , and then we would take turns at trying to complete a word. I was alwatys the fifth one in the class, and the first letter was sometimes an 'x'. Of course, the only word anybody ever thought of that started with an x was xylophone. I used to stump em every time when I would say 'n' as the next letter. I would get challenged, and have to finish the word. Never understood why nobody could remeber the word I won with.

• 1 year later...

danielam

I have not been on this site for quite some time. If you do have a complete set of the "zylo" or plastic handled stainless from Dixon I would be most interested in purchasing if you are interested in selling. I have pictures of my knives that I can send. Do you have pictures of your set? I do not yet have five posts so please feel free to contact me with an answer. Thank you

Archived