Kelvin Flats

lynmoore

I lived close to Kelvin Flats as they were being demolished but I was still relatively new to Sheffield at that point and it's all a bit hazy. I am now writing a novel set around the demolition of Kelvin and would be really interested if anyone had any memories of the place or photos/plans/maps. Newspaper clippings of the actual demolition would be ace too (although I knopw that was a long process). Thanks. Please e-mail me at lynmoore@elvis.com.

There has recently been an evaluation done on the regeneration of the Netherthorpe and Upperthorpe area by the Regeneration team at the council. Contact me if you would like to know the council contact for this.

You ought to contact the local regeneration office for the area, they'll have details.

according to the old man there was a ebautiful sense of community there.

Something he was really annoyed about was that the council promised the tenants of the Kelvin flats first refusal on any properties built on the land where the flats once stood.

Guess what???

Moon

Guest HappyShopper

Aah Yes..........

Kelvin Flats was the name of the drummer for Don Valley and the Rotherhides. They were a rockabilly band from Sheffield; I went to a few of their gigs in the late 80s.

Who else was there? I seem to remember Brocco Bank played banjo! Can't remember the other's names.........they were all something to do with local placenames. At one gig I went to, Kelvin didn't show up; so the band asked for volunteers from the audience. My mate got up on stage to play the drums for one song. When they asked him what his name was, he replied........."Heeley Bottom"!!!!!!!

The song I can remember the most is "Thatcher's Dead"........Quality!!! Do any other viewers remember any of this or did I just dream it?!!!!

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Moon Maiden

according to the old man there was a ebautiful sense of community there.

Something he was really annoyed about was that the council promised the tenants of the Kelvin flats first refusal on any properties built on the land where the flats once stood.

Guess what???

Moon

I lived on Kelvin in early eighties,yes there was a great sense of community,but it was still a dump.

Hated every day I lived there,got fed up o avoiding the jumpers as they plumeted to there end for whatever reason they did.

Urine in lifts rubbish on the landings,banging on your door,nappies flying past you window.

If thats community spirit then you can keep it,,,,,,sorry

I remember the flats being built- I was only 4 at the time. This was also at the time the council were wanting to flatten the old houses on langsett road and relocate everyone to the flats when they were finished.

I know they became a bit of an eyesore, but when the people first moved in, they were like little palaces inside. I think it's a bit unfair to tarnish the flats with a bad history. I found a Teddy Bear near the lifts that I still have!!

• 4 months later...

I was one of the last tennants to move off Kelvin and I cried the day I left. I lived there for 8 years and never had one bit of trouble. Regradless of what people say, it *did* have a great sense of community and a lot of people did like living on there. The reports of dead bodies and TV's flying off the landings were much exaggerated, usually by folks who never lived on there.

I for one have very very fond memories of the place. I even have one of the housing departments official souvineir plaques on my mantlepiece!!

Archived