Kelvin Flats2

derek48uk1

I remember kelvin flats being built, nevermind being demolished, and i and my family used too live on portland walk, first i lived at 124 near the old gatefield pub, and my sister lived at 41 near the halfpenny public house. if anyone lived on this landing around 1970-1973 please feel free to let me know....we later moved across the road to kelvin buildings above the old chinese takeaway as it was then. although i was born in sheffield, i now live in west sussex, but as you can guess i still follow sheffield thanks to the net. I still have family on the woodthorpe estate and was there 2 weeks ago visiting them and at the same time went to the sheffield arena which had a great show on that night, also we went upto woodhose village to a pub called the royal which is quite nice and comfy and it felt like i was at home again. However i wasnt, but i was raised at parson cross on southey hill, then moved upto the wybourn estate before moving onto infirmary road and the kelvin. My email is dg161156@aol.com if you would like too chat more on this topic....as long as you support the owls of course.

i have family on the woodthorpe is what i said...not that i lived there, i lived on the wybourn before kelvin flats, as i can remember we moved most of our belongings via prams through the town. was not funny then as we had to go down that steep hill past the pub the durham ox on the right....anyway i have family living in chadwick road.

• 10 months later...

Used to live above the Kelvin on Sherde Road when the original Kelvin was knocked down to build the flats.

Used to play with a lot of the kids from down there when I was a kid, it was very old and poor area but the people were stars, they would be on their knees donkey stoneing the steps and washing the fronts down all the time.

We did not have much then, but we were happy.

My Aunt and Uncle lived on Whitehouse Lane the last terrace house on the right. My Grandmother and Grandfather had the coach company and sweet shop that faced the Unity Picture Palace moving towards toen there was Justice Sheet metal workers. a milk man in the next yard Hemmings lived in the house next. Whilst after was Kenyons house and garage. After that it gets a little vague but there was a chippy and a fruit shop. If anyone wants to know anymore I will ask my mother and Auntie this weekend

Archived