Is Sheffield the 4th or 5th largest city?

John

I keep reading that Sheffield is the 5th largest city from some posters in here.

I've always remembered it as being the 4th largest city, did someone beat it (Leeds maybe?) or was it always 5th?

Do a search on google

Sheffield 4th largest city

And

Sheffield 5th largest city

The following results were returned

4th = 5,250

5th = 4,920

Any explanation?

According to figures on this site http://www.demographia.com/db-ukcities.htm Englands top seven cities in terms of population are:

1 London

2 Birmingham

3 Leeds

4 Sheffield

5 Liverpool

6 Manchester (Not Greater Manchester)

7 Newcastle

This means Sheffield is 4th unless you count Manchester as Greater Manchester then Sheffield is the fifth largest.

I would have thought that the size of a city is measured by its boundary, i.e., surface area, as appose to the number of people to determine the city size as it is a constant value.

I believe, if i am correct, the Tory Government changed the boundary in a clever way to merge Tory stronghold with a Labour stonghold, that wasn't as strong, so that they have a better chance of winning more seat at the election . (Could be true, but then I could have read some crap about this on the internet someplace.)

Which lead me to believe that Leeds got bigger this way which is why I wrote the original posting.

Archived