Liverpool pathway binned.

And about time too in my opinion. What was designed to ease a dying persons passing was being more or less used as soft but unforgiving pillow over the faces of sick old people often without the knowledge of the family. It was euthenasia (which im not totally against in theory)via the back door without legislation or debate, just actioned at the whim of a doctor. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23283820

I hope you're not suggesting that if you want to have any say in how/when care is withdrawn, you need private insurance?

Next you'll be telling me that the NHS says (to some people) "Go home and die. There's nothing more we can do for you We're not prepared to spend any more money on you.

(My brother - who will be 50 if he makes it to his birthday next month - has been told that his only hope is a heart transplant - but he shouldn't hold his breath while he waits.)

Not only have I read the link, but I understood it, too.

I'm aware that - under the healthcare system I use - I am allowed to decide when (and whether) care (including, but not limited to food, water and medications) will be withdrawn.

I'm also aware - from that link you seem to be so proud of - that some patients (and their families) who are treated by the NHS are excluded from the decision.

your initial post didn't suggest you had. You can't really make an informed decision on your health if you a) aren't told you are put on the Liverpool pathway or b) you are in a confused state and won't understand what's happening anyway. It's not so much a decision where they'll put it to the patient or family "we can't/won't pay for your care anymore, you'll have to go private" it's often more a case of "granny is very poorly and we'll do our best to make her comfortable. "

With the latter all drugs like antibiotics etc are withdrawn and patient is left on fluids and, laughaby, vitamins.

I am a Nurse & I have not heard that the LCP has been discontinued . I will have to ask our Palliative Care Team about this . But my experience of patients going onto the LCP is normally positive. The patient if they are able to be involved & the relatives are involved all the steps of the way. We cannot put someone on one unless there is a discussion with the medical team , the relatives & if possible , the patient . Once this discussion has taken place ,only then , if applicable the patient is placed on the LCP. The patient is prescribed drugs to ensure they are comfortable which they must be given . If they are having IV fluids to keep them hydrated & the family want this to continue then they do have them . We check the patients every 4 hours , more if the family are worried about the patient. We pride ourselves where I work on providing a high standard of care for these patients & in no way do we see the LCP as a form of euthanasia .

I agree with you fairy.....

and it sounds as if you, tinfoil witnessed poor practice....which may have been down to the staff rather than the tool itself...

Stopping everything that isn't contributing to the persons comfort makes sense.

Its argued that fluids or food given to a dying person (who is unable to express a preference) can actually hasten or make dying more uncomfortable as the body's shutting down and can cause fluid overload, and more distress.......it will continue to be an ongoing debate as it has been for years

Yes it is & it is so hard when you have a dying patient . You sometimes think you are damned if you do or damned if you don't . But at the end of the day , the patient comes first . I have had relatives asking me to give the patient extra drugs to put them out of their misery but I wont because that is bad

Archived