Calls from Microsoft Help

SILLY

Can anybody please advise. I have just had a call saying he was from Microsoft and that my computer was infected as it was running slow and they had had error reports. It has been but he wanted me to go into run and type in something just cant remember what and lots of files came up then he wanted to know how many, feeling suspicious I closed pc down and told him it had gone off I am now worried as he said he would phone back tomorrow at 10.00am. I dialled 1471 and it said caller withheld number. What I want to know is could it be genuine ? using lap top now but frightened he was hacker any advise please do microsoft call?

It's a scam, and no microsoft don't just call up.

They will eventually try to get your credit card details in order to pay for some "anti-virus" software, normally after installing a load of malware onto your computer remotely by getting you to give them access.

If you want to keep them busy, just keep ignoring what they're saying (you don't even need to be at the computer) but tell them you're doing as they ask :hihi:

PM me your address, and I'll come through for the 10am phone call....

I would dearly love a chance at scamming these scammers! I'd be happy for them to know all the true private details of our 'virtual' pc and to virtually sign up to anything they want...

Thought so thanks am just running full scan could they have hacked in while talking to me or do you think they will call in the morning and want my card details ? just wish the penny had dropped a bit sooner.

You should be fine (but there's nothing wrong with running the scan anyway!), generally the script for the scammers goes:

- Ring up number, tell them their computer has been reporting an infection/fault

- Get the user to bring up some windows and enter some information, and then ask for the results

- Tell the user this confirms they're infected / faulty

- Tell the user they need to enable remote access / download a remote access program from their website in order to have it fixed. Tell them it must be fixed immediately, otherwise all their passwords will be stolen, their bank account emptied, photos sold to The Sun, pets sent abroad, garden gnomes stolen and a nuclear power plant to be built next door

- Once software is installed, get the user to give them access to the computer

- Use remote access software to look at other windows, telling the user they're looking for the virus / fault

- Tell the user the virus / fault has been found, but it requires purchase of some other software to fix the problem. While doing this, install other remote access software / actual viri / trojans.

- Go on the hard sell to get the user to purchase the software, handing over credit card details.

The actual credit card stuff doesn't come along until they've had a proper chance of absolutely convincing you that your computer is completely ruined. They won't leave you alone until you buy the stuff, or you can otherwise convince them that either you know what they're up to, or can't actually buy it (e.g. you don't have a credit card), or you tell them you know it's a scam, and to **** off!.

The best way when they ring up is to tell them that the PC is upstairs in the loft space and the phone is downstairs

example

'Ring Ring' Hello

This is xxxxxx about your computer being infected can you please turn it on

Just a moment its upstairs and the phone is down here I will go and turn it on just a minute

put phone down on side and go and put kettle on wait 2 mins

Lift phone Hello its on

Right will you go and do xxxxxxxxx

OK just a min put phone down on side go and pour water into coffee powder or tea ad sugar and milk walk back and pick up phone

Hell did you say do yyyyyyy

No you need to do xxxxxxxxx

Ah OK just a min

Do you get the idea?

I once kept someone on the phone for 25 mins and when they asked for the credit card details I said I don't think so I am an officer for the South Yorkshire Fraud Squad while I've been keeping you busy my team here in my house have been tracing your number and some one will be knocking on your door in the next 30 seconds

Goodbye

PM me your address, and I'll come through for the 10am phone call....

I would dearly love a chance at scamming these scammers! I'd be happy for them to know all the true private details of our 'virtual' pc and to virtually sign up to anything they want...

The best way when they ring up is to tell them that the PC is upstairs in the loft space and the phone is downstairs

example

'Ring Ring' Hello

This is xxxxxx about your computer being infected can you please turn it on

Just a moment its upstairs and the phone is down here I will go and turn it on just a minute

put phone down on side and go and put kettle on wait 2 mins

Lift phone Hello its on

Right will you go and do xxxxxxxxx

OK just a min put phone down on side go and pour water into coffee powder or tea ad sugar and milk walk back and pick up phone

Hell did you say do yyyyyyy

No you need to do xxxxxxxxx

Ah OK just a min

Do you get the idea?

I once kept someone on the phone for 25 mins and when they asked for the credit card details I said I don't think so I am an officer for the South Yorkshire Fraud Squad while I've been keeping you busy my team here in my house have been tracing your number and some one will be knocking on your door in the next 30 seconds

Goodbye

Entirely what I was offering the OP in my previous post! Well said, I have done similar previously, usually with sales pitches, but I long for the day one of these rings me up... the possibilities are endless...:hihi:

Right I am going to follow your advice tomorrow I have also done this myself with cold callers. I am usually pretty wise to this but as PC has been playing up lately I think it threw me it was when said turn off firefox and use microsoft explorer I thought what am I doing I then shut pc down but told him it had locked up as it was so slow he told me he would wait I said I had not the time now thats when he said he would phone tomorrow. Will keep you updated and thanks again.

Entirely what I was offering the OP in my previous post! Well said, I have done similar previously, usually with sales pitches, but I long for the day one of these rings me up... the possibilities are endless...:hihi:

Evil aren't we :twisted::twisted:

Archived