ABC saturday mornings

kirky

nowt finer,used to go every saturday with mi brother used to watch the famous five a few cartoons and the a feature film such as benji or herbie and if you took your birthday cards along with you,you didn't have to pay the 10p entry fee.

Originally posted by joestrummer

yeh,remember it well...getting in through the side door,fighting with some leeds fans(skinheads)was'nt there a couple of little progs first then a film..

yeah like i said famous five n cartoons...i always thought the little bald headed bloke on stage (the one who brought on all the kids with birthdays) was harry corbett from the sooty show:blush:

Originally posted by andyb

Did you get all the badges that spelled out ABC Minors? The real rip off came when you traded all those in to get one bigger badge that said it all on one

andyb

can anyone remember the song???

Originally posted by kirky

can anyone remember the song???

I can't remember the beginning, but wasn't the end two lines....

"We have a laugh and have a sing-song,

what a jolly crowd are we,

we're all pals together,

we're minors of the ABC!"

Originally posted by goldenfleece

Was that the old black and white 1950's Famous Five serial you refer to, Five on a Treasure Island, made by Childrens Film Foundation I think......

thats the one.......but i wasn't around in the 50's

My firdt boyfriend and I (we were 13 years old) used to go to the minors matinee, back in the 70's.

He was a right skinflint!

It only cost 5p back then to get in to the minors matinee.

what did he do? he says "I'll meet you inside!"

(just so's he didn't have to fork out the shilling entrance fee for me! the git!)

then when we were inside, he' d take off somewhere with his snotty nosed "friends," flicking sweets and god-all knows what else at the other patrons, and the usherettes!

good grief !

still, all those "children's film foundation films starring the very young Keith Chegwin as "young Robin hood" and any other of a string of characters he played in the 60's and 70's were nearly woth the 5p entry alone, not to mention those dreadful, sad flash gordon / tarzan type serials they would play...

how did they go?

the pearl and dean adverts with their amazing flying logo (all together, now, ba-ba, ba-ba, ba-ba, ba-ba, ba-ba-bah! bah-bah- bah- bah- bahh!)

a 10 minute cartoon.

the dire roy rodgers or buck-rodgers serial,

a ten minute cartoon,

the usherettes would come round with the ice cream, and those square, clear plastic cartons of kia-ora orange squash

the main feature,

another 10 minute cartoon

The lights would go up, and we'd all pile down castle street, to granelli's balcony bar, upstairs in the Sheaf market, to discuss the latest pop star, over a watery cup of flat "cola-with-four straws-to-share-it-between-you-all!". (or up to the wimpy bar either at the top of fargate, around where the orange shop is now, or the one on pistone street, near damart)

ah, happy days

PT

it became the abc in 1961. before that it was called the cannon picture house. did anyone go there when it was the cannon? i know i didn't. i remember seeing gone with the wind in 1968.

i was also one of the few who saw "the sound of music" at the odeon at around 1965-66.

Archived