Internet and networking etc!

curtva1

Lets hypothosise.

Two computers are present in a household. One runs win xp and has the internet broadband installed and working, the other has win 98. Both have network cards however the xp system for which the internet is on goes throug the usb port. Also available is a hub, and router and a straight through cable.

The question!

How does one share the internet (which the xp system has) with the computer running 98?

Originally posted by "curtva1"

Lets hypothosise.

Two computers are present in a household. One runs win xp and has the internet broadband installed and working, the other has win 98. Both have network cards however the xp system for which the internet is on goes throug the usb port. Also available is a hub, and router and a straight through cable.

The question!

How does one share the internet (which the xp system has) with the computer running 98?

I have done this. Only trouble is I didn't use the USB. I used 2 network cards in the host pc and 1 network card in the client via a HUB. Who is the broadband with Telewest?

depending on the info u gave, i would go for the XP PC using the USB modem (this means have the XP on all the time while wanting to use the internet with the 98 PC) you would achieve this by getting a cross over cable (or modifying your existing straight through) and connecting the PC's through the NIC's. To set it up you would simply go into your existing dial-up for the ISP and choose to share it, this would set windows assigned IP's to the host PC and u would have to manually set it for the 98 PC, i think its in the class of 192.168.0.1 for the host (XP) and 192.168.0.2 for the 98 PC. The other method and the better one but u will need to buy more stuff is using the router, this way u could use straight through cables (from the router to each of the PC's) this would enable u to access the internet regardless of the other PC''s state, ie the XP PC could b off and the 98 PC could still access the net. Be sure that the router has a build in modem though, or u will hav to purchase a ethernet modem that would connect to a LAN port on the router. i myself would and have go for a router setup, this also lets u have a NAT firewall so u r protected from scans unless u have forwarded alot of ports.

a note is this is for a typical DSL setup, i aint tried or ever used cable, but a imagne the only diffrence is that u dont hav a dial-up connection with the USB.

when you say ethernet modem is this the cable modem (eg the motorola SB4100)?

We managed to get it working using xp syste as the host however the computer using 98 was incredibly slow and we lost the connection very easily and were unable to get it back.

Originally posted by "curtva1"

when you say ethernet modem is this the cable modem (eg the motorola SB4100)?

We managed to get it working using xp syste as the host however the computer using 98 was incredibly slow and we lost the connection very easily and were unable to get it back.

That sounds like your using a surf board modem. Is it through Telewest?

Hi curtva1,

Here's my setup (on blueyonder):

xp with net connection (2 nic's: 1 for the cable modem, 1 for the network), 98se (1 nic). They're connected with a simple crossover cable and I'm using a prog called CCProxy which provides NAT (network address translation) - the internet sees both pcs as the same IP addy.

I tried wingate and other software but this is the one that worked best, tho' it does cost $69. There's also a trial available! Have a look here: http://www.youngzsoft.net/ccproxy/

It's dead easy to setup. Providing the TCP/IP settings are correct on both pcs, all you need to do is set the proxy address in your browser to the XP box and the port (which is summat like 8080) and that's it. Works like a charm!

If you decide to go this route, let me know if you need any help!

Cheers

Archived