Advice for a day of drinking in Sheffield!

corkesw

Hi Sheffield Forum. Hoping you can give me some advice.

A group of about 10 of us are planning to descend on your fair city from Manchester next Tuesday with the sole intention of spending the whole day drinking. (Don't worry we're all very well behaved even when heavily inebriated!)

Anyway I was hoping for some advice on some great places to drink. I was kind of thinking that we'd do pubs in the afternoon and bars in the evening. We're (relatively) young so preferably no old-man pubs we're and reasonably sophisticated in our tastes. Think Northern Quarter for anyone that knows the Manchester drinking scene.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Sheffield :)

My humble opinion.......

Have one at the 'Tap' which is bar at the train station (this will keep the real ale drinkers happy). Then walk up the hill into town and have one in the 'Old Monk' (they will have the sport on TV). Then up the hill further towards Division street and you have Weatherspoons & Lloyds next to each other (both cheap which keeps everyone happy!). Further up Division street you have the 'Common Room' which has pool tables to keep you amused. Next to here you then have Revolution by which point i'd imagine you'll be too drunk to care but after that you want to head to 'S1' and the Cavendish on West Street and head back down the hill along the tram line towards the general direction of the station.

Plenty of other bars along the way to explore but if you head in this general direction you won't be disappointed....... and if you find somewhere you don't like.... Just leave and walk into the next one!

I'd get off in the peak district towards the Sheffield side [Hathersage/Grindleford] (hope valley line), have a few climb a hill, sink a tinny and descend down from the hills into Sheffield hitting every pub on the way to the centre!

Google Earth to plan the route based upon the location of pubs in a straightish line to the centre!

Return on train after a good walk n sesh and having seen more of Sheffield than many Sheffielders!

riverside, harlequin, walk upto fagans, then upto red deer, then onto west street to some of the decent bars later that night. the first few pubs are real ale type places where you can start off steady, talk and get a proper drink. west st is then a hole, but you wont care, and some of the trendier bars arent bad by late night when you are past caring, then you can get a greasy take away or go for a proper curry. (nirmhals etc)

northern quarter eh... you sophisto-cats you :)

alot of the funkier independent bars will struggle to fit ten, so this won't be perfect, but here's my suggestion..

for starters proper all day drinking needs to consider the weather! so for sunny beer garden either head to the rutland arms on brown street, near station or jump on a 95, 123 or 52 bus and head to crookesmoore park and the Damhouse - a pub overlooking a lake. Nice.

My preference would be the damhouse cos it's got a more spacious beer garden, bit pricey tho and not much real ale. still. struggling to think of any other decent beer gardens, no doubt others on here will chime in hopefully :)

apart from the sunny side of things, for ten guys on an all dayer i'd recommend most bars on division street (esp bungalows and bears, old house, common room and forum), Bia Hoi on west street, and purely cos i was in there the other week and saw the most beautiful girl i've ever seen in sheffield - Vodka Revolution (West One complex).

enjoy :) x

Archived