New Optio Ticket/Service

I thought this was going to improve our bus route/service but no it appears we're losing a bus service the number 40.So now we'll only have one choice of bus to catch up to Crimicar Lane not 2 how's that going to improve things?:loopy:

The 120 bus service stops at 9:15pm Mon/Sat and it stops at 6:15pm on Sundays at the moment are they going to run longer?

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/Optio.aspx

From SY Travel WebSite:

Service 120 passengers starting or ending their journey between Fulwood and Royal Hallamshire Hospital

During the daytime, Monday to Saturday, the service 120 route between Fulwood and the Royal Hallamshire Hospital will only be operated by First, up to every 8-10 minutes. First buses will terminate at Crystal Peaks Bus Station. If you are travelling beyond Crystal Peaks Bus Station to/from Halfway, you will need to change onto (or from) a Stagecoach bus to complete your journey.

On evenings and Sundays, alternate First and Stagecoach buses will operate the full route between Fulwood and Halfway.

There is also a change to the route in Fulwood.

NewTimetable:

http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/timetablefinder.aspx

Its a cut in service - to less than half the current level from Halfway to Crystal Peaks and from Hallamshire to Fulwood a bus every 8-9 minutes during the day rather than currently 3-4. Thats less than half the current service. Even on the best parts its a cut from every 3-4 mins to every 4-5.

Unless reliability improves (which to be fair on the bus companies has something to do with actions of council and PTE too) a timetable service every 8 mins means regular waits of 18 minutes and more.

It'll probably run ok over the summer, be hailed as a great success. But the test will be from October once schools and students are back, holidays over, weather and nights drawing in.

On the plus side, a better evening and Sunday service.

Glad to see their finish times have extended but that don't change the fact that it's gonna cost some people more money to travel between their chosen buses.I've Been working out it will cost me £5:60 extra on top of an Optio Orange ticket(£9:00)) cause I'd have to buy switches to use buses I usually use to get to cleaning job's I have on other stage coach routes.They're only valid for 1 hour which is stupid,what if your bus breaks down?:suspect:

Its SYPTE's baby not the bus companies.

SYPTE wants more co-operation by bus companies, less overbussing and ideally would like to run the lot themselves but thankfully the current laws don't allow this.

The bus companies I suspect will be hoping it fails so they can then say to SYPTE 'look at the mess you have made and you want to control all bus services....i don't think so'

Rumours are if it does succeed however SYPTE want to do this on the 52 route and the Ecclesall Road 81,82, 88, 83 services.

Personally I'm hoping it fails or has to be drastically re-thought out by the bus companies and common sense prevails. Running the routes as they are now and just accepting each others tickets would have been much better than this.

Its a cut in service - to less than half the current level from Halfway to Crystal Peaks and from Hallamshire to Fulwood a bus every 8-9 minutes during the day rather than currently 3-4. Thats less than half the current service. Even on the best parts its a cut from every 3-4 mins to every 4-5.

Unless reliability improves (which to be fair on the bus companies has something to do with actions of council and PTE too) a timetable service every 8 mins means regular waits of 18 minutes and more.

It'll probably run ok over the summer, be hailed as a great success. But the test will be from October once schools and students are back, holidays over, weather and nights drawing in.

On the plus side, a better evening and Sunday service.

So you are moaning about waiting an extra minute? Try living on a route that is every half hour / 45 minutes.

The buses are to be redistributed to other routes to aid with reliability there i believe so instead of a load of buses on one route chasing each other down the road increasing pollution by travelling at lower speeds

Im not often on the side of the PTE but what exactly can they do to improve reliability above working with the bus companies?

Its SYPTE's baby not the bus companies.

SYPTE wants more co-operation by bus companies, less overbussing and ideally would like to run the lot themselves but thankfully the current laws don't allow this.

The bus companies I suspect will be hoping it fails so they can then say to SYPTE 'look at the mess you have made and you want to control all bus services....i don't think so'

Rumours are if it does succeed however SYPTE want to do this on the 52 route and the Ecclesall Road 81,82, 88, 83 services.

Personally I'm hoping it fails or has to be drastically re-thought out by the bus companies and common sense prevails. Running the routes as they are now and just accepting each others tickets would have been much better than this.

If you read half the threads on here then people would seeme to want to put the services back into the hands of the authority (in this area that would be the PTE)

Then in your second paragraph you but that the bus copanies would use the "you want to run the routes..... i dont think so" even though you had already said it wasnt possible so a bit of a moot point to make really.

So taking your solution to leave it as it is and accept tickets i take it you dont want extended running hours in an evening or a Sunday?

Anyone living beyond Crystal Peaks gets a bad deal.

NO First buses during the day will go beyond Crystal Peaks - you MUST catch Stagecoach. So half the buses which pass you in the City Centre will be useless. If you're waiting at Crystal Peaks to travel to Halfway, forget First.

Six fewer buses per hour in each direction = longer waiting times.

You can't just buy cheap monthly First tickets any more, Stagecoach will NOT accept them. You have to buy a Stagecoach ticket as well, or buy the much more expensive Travel Master.

If you want to travel to Moorfoot you've got to change from Stagecoach to First at Crystal Peaks - which is going to waste time and cost more money.

Stagecoach has axed its discounted return fares, so return journeys from that end of Sheffield will cost more.

If children have to change buses, they have to pay again every time they do. There's no 'switch' ticket for them.

If they'd simply allowed the bus companies to share the whole route a number of these problems wouldn't have arisen.

SYPTE's changes will make my travel 15% more expensive - that's more than three times the rate of inflation.

If you want to complain, write to

David Brown, Director General

South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive

11 Broad Street West

Sheffield

S1 2BQ

Or telephone: 0114 276 7575 and ask for the complaints department.

You can also contact your MP, who will raise your concerns with SYPTE.

Archived