Apart from wear and tear, could this be construed as perpetual motion?

I was fascinated to see this video.

It's a pity it ends somewhat abruptly, but disregarding wear and tear on bearings and such, this seems to me to have lots of potential. Doesn't burn any fuel, no emissions!

Boy does that thing whiz! Especially when he takes 2 of the magnets out of the equation!

Well, no.

You can't discount sources of energy loss from the system. Perpetual means just that, not for 5 minutes because energy leaks away as heat in the bearings.

Doesn't burn any fuel, doesn't produce any emissions, it requires energy from someone pushing it to start (so it burns fuel in the form of food used to move your arm or finger and produces waste in the same way). It's no more impressive than a highly efficient bearing.

Well, no.

You can't discount sources of energy loss from the system. Perpetual means just that, not for 5 minutes because energy leaks away as heat in the bearings.

Doesn't burn any fuel, doesn't produce any emissions, it requires energy from someone pushing it to start (so it burns fuel in the form of food used to move your arm or finger and produces waste in the same way). It's no more impressive than a highly efficient bearing.

Requires energy to start it!???...By Pushing it!...Burns fuel in the form of food?...Oh please.!!! :suspect:

So your definition is that nothing (no energy from anywhere) is required in order to achieve perpetual motion (yes I know it's been said that it's impossible to achieve).

So what if it leaks energy in the form of heat? It's producing much more than that in rotational energy!

I was fascinated to see this video.

It's a pity it ends somewhat abruptly, but disregarding wear and tear on bearings and such, this seems to me to have lots of potential. Doesn't burn any fuel, no emissions!

Boy does that thing whiz! Especially when he takes 2 of the magnets out of the equation!

How does it produce more energy than it uses? A perpetual motion machine is an impossibility.

Yes, pushing it is energy, and you have to consume energy to push something.

Well, no, perpetual motion doesn't look at what starts the motion, I was just commenting on that facet since you claimed it was energy free.

What perpetual motion does require is zero energy leakage. Which this doesn't demonstrate.

It's producing nothing, it's just spinning, what makes you think that it is producing something?

A 5 minute clip proves nothing. I'll start considering perpetual motion a possibility when I receive verified information that the machine can keep going without any slowing down and without being touched for a few months.

Yes, pushing it is energy, and you have to consume energy to push something.

Well, no, perpetual motion doesn't look at what starts the motion, I was just commenting on that facet since you claimed it was energy free.

What perpetual motion does require is zero energy leakage. Which this doesn't demonstrate.

It's producing nothing, it's just spinning, what makes you think that it is producing something?

Sorry I'm no scientist, but to me, if it's spinning (once started, and a good healthy meal consumed :hihi:) it's surely producing rotational energy, which presumably could be used for something!

Archived