Unusual Phobias

Has anyone, like me, got an unusual phobia?

Mine is maps. Relief maps to be precise. The very thought of opening an atlas up gives me the creeps in case I find myelf on a page that contains a dreaded relief map.

Political maps provoke a little anxiety, but I can just about cope.

Strangely, street maps do not bother me in the slightest. I could happily flick through a Sheffield A-Z and suffer no ill-effects from the experience.

Isn't it strange?

Originally posted by jackthedog

I have a large relief map of the Peak District on my kitchen wall.

I have one of those - a 3D relief map of the entire North West of England, from Worksop in the bottom right to Lancaster in the top left. It contains most if not all of Yorkshire, so I can touch/feel at a glance where all the hills are! Champyin!

I was given it a a gift and it's © Oxford University Press 1964 so it doesn't show any motorways :rolleyes: Sorry to take this thread off topic, but I'd like to know where I can get an updated relief map.

Anyway, back to the thread, as I child I had a phobia of steel pins and sewing needles. I hated looking into a sewing box, just in case one popped out and jabbed me in the eye.

My youngest child (13 months old) is terrified of a certain plastic flower in our living room. He'll stare at it for ages, but pass the flower to him and he'll do a runner.

I'm absolutely terrified of moths (dunno whether this is unusual or not). Sometimes it can be quite embarrasing cos I totally freak out and sometimes cry if I spot one.

I know that really they can't hurt me but when I see them my brain flips and I imagine that if it comes near my face it might actually be able to kill me. However, I am now receiving medication and psychotherapy regarding this and have found my new padded walls a great help! (That bit was a joke....I'm not really mad, well not completely anyway!).

Originally posted by DaBouncer

A friend of mine has a phobia of buttons.

Not the popper type that some cheap shirts or denim shirts have; but the real four hole button types.

Cant stand em, and it makes her feel sick.

FREAK!

I hate buttons like that too.

Well ... not so much now ... but as a child I would never wear anything with buttons on ... zippers rule !!!

Archived