Dove and Rainbow pre 90's pub history and trade

I can recall this punk/alternative venue being the Tut N Shive in the 90's, and being a very student led business with lots of real ale and student discounts and fun stuff. Then it seemed to die off as the Tut, and the students all left it, and re-opened in its old name, Dove and Rainbow again. Anyone know the year it re-named itself back to its original name, and also the year it originally changed to the Tun N Shive? Anyon e suggest why the Tut N Shive died off in the late 90's, would it coincide with the rise in popularity with students of West Street and the new bars opening in that area? It was a very busy student bar when I went in, even on a Monday night, back in 1995.

Also, when did the Bankers Draft open and does this coincide with the rebranding of the Dove to Tut, or are these events not in any way related....thought the Draft opened early 90's, but maybe it was late 80's?

And anyone on here who used to drink in the original Dove and Rainbow in its pre-punk. pre Tut N Shive days? Pre 1990's in other words, and what sort of people used to drink in this pub in the 80's? I can vaguely remember going in around 1981 in the day and it being full of Sheffield Newspaper staff, and Radio hallam DJ's, both companies being next door at the time. It was not full of punks in those days in the evenings as far as I can recall, but was a rather drab and typical desperately in need of refurb City centre traditional "boozer"....

Anyone confirm some dates and old memories about this place?

Summer of '69 and the Dove and Rainbow was one of the first pubs I did some under age drinking - 16 years old - first Saturday job at Davy's on Haymarket.

Some of the 'older' lads went in to the Dove for lunch so they dragged the new boy along.

As mentioend before - looking back a typical city centre pub with a real mixed clientele - the 'legals' from Scotland Street - guys from the 'Star' and those who preffered waiting for their bus in the boozer rather than the high street.

One memory - it was one of the first pubs back then to offer food at lunchtime - a selection of toasted sandwiches - nowt to write home about now - but quite a novelty back in the late 60's.

Once I knew I could get in there and get served, I used the place quite often.

"Tut 'n' Shive - The walls appear to be made of doors and stupid papier mache mouldings, crusties and punks are attracted. And rock music is de regeur. Often the patrons have gone too far with tattoos and face jewellery. The Pub often puts a band on. There appears to be at least one of these pubs in every city."

what happened to this pub chain?

"Tut 'n' Shive - The walls appear to be made of doors and stupid papier mache mouldings, crusties and punks are attracted. And rock music is de regeur. Often the patrons have gone too far with tattoos and face jewellery. The Pub often puts a band on. There appears to be at least one of these pubs in every city."

what happened to this pub chain?

There was a Tut in Barnsley until three or four years ago and I've heard of one in Doncaster.

They had the same rough wooden decor and feel to them.

There was a Tut in Barnsley until three or four years ago and I've heard of one in Doncaster.

They had the same rough wooden decor and feel to them.

If I remember correctly, the Tut 'n' Shives are a chain owned by Whitbread (or Interpolbrew, Whatbland, or whatever they are called now). There are loads of them round the country.

Going even further back-----I remember taking a girl-friend in there when I was about 18 in 1960 . I must have been dead keen as I bought her Tia Maria , instead of the usual BabyCham or half a bitter !

Earlier than that , when I was 17 , I'd gone in with my parents one lunchtime , after some shopping . This was odd as I'd just been nicked for for under-age drinking , in another pub .

The Dove and Rainbow , then , was a typical , fairly respectable , city-centre pub , with a wide range of customers .

As far as I remember , there had been a ' Dove and Rainbow ' on the site for ages , perhaps not always under that name though ?

Going even further back-----I remember taking a girl-friend in there when I was about 18 in 1960 . I must have been dead keen as I bought her Tia Maria , instead of the usual BabyCham or half a bitter !

Earlier than that , when I was 17 , I'd gone in with my parents one lunchtime , after some shopping . This was odd as I'd just been nicked for for under-age drinking , in another pub .

The Dove and Rainbow , then , was a typical , fairly respectable , city-centre pub , with a wide range of customers .

As far as I remember , there had been a ' Dove and Rainbow ' on the site for ages , perhaps not always under that name though ?

http://www.sheffieldpubs.fsnet.co.uk/Business/pubs/doveandrainbow.htm

Hope this helps, fareast :thumbsup: ....... and, er, everybody else really, but, er, especially you :thumbsup:

I'm going to agree with Fareast and say that the 'Dove and Rainbow was a respectable, typical Sheffield pub. It was a fairly regular call of mine, especially Sunday, from about 1955. That was when it was rebuilt. In fact I put the beams in on the ground and upper floors. Bradbury's built it (the little r*t).

Archived