Another rumour about a park to be sold off by the Council

Zaytsev

Just been asked to sign a petition against the selling off of Richmond Park by the council for proposed housing.

The park was left to the people of Sheffield by way of a charitable trust.

Are all the green spaces destined to disappear and why are we not being consulted.

The details have been discovered by accident by a resident of the area.:rant:

When/where has the council previously sold off parkland? Maybe you should contact your local councillors and the area panel co-ordinator maybe, just to check out the facts. Or make a start by contacting the Planning Department. They'll always give you the current facts.

Seems very odd that convenanted parkland can be sold off for any other purpose?

Typical of this lot who run Sheffield.

They tried a similar plan a bit back where they decided they were going to decide what actually happened to the baths at Stocksbridge which werent theirs to decide that. That is how I recall the story and due to people power, the baths and sports centre remained.

But hey, that s why some people vote em in so they can treat everybody like something that is stuck under the shoe and then have the cheek to have an internal voting system where the MPS actually decide amongst themselves how much they should get as a payrise !!

Shouldnt they be accountable to the public who voted them in and when they only offer a measley 3 per cent pay rise to some of the public sector such as the nurses and the police, why should they get £100,000 a year ???

It makes my blood boil :rant: :rant: :rant:

When/where has the council previously sold off parkland? Maybe you should contact your local councillors and the area panel co-ordinator maybe, just to check out the facts. Or make a start by contacting the Planning Department. They'll always give you the current facts.

Seems very odd that convenanted parkland can be sold off for any other purpose?

I wish you were right ruby. The guy who is organising the petition has already done this. I've seen the document outlining the 'proposed disposal'. The document was only gained through the Freedom of Information Act.

:mad:

The attempt to sell off part of Graves Park is a classic example:

But an attempt is all it was, soon foiled by local councillors and local people power!

Although to be fair the section in question was the old nursery area which hadn't been a useable public part of the park for many years. The money would have come in useful for the upkeep of the rest of the park though I suppose. And the developers would also have had to pay some Section 106 monies as well, which would have all been useful in the long term.

Typical of this lot who run Sheffield. (snippy) and then have the cheek to have an internal voting system where the MPS actually decide amongst themselves how much they should get as a payrise !! Shouldnt they be accountable to the public who voted them in and when they only offer a measley 3 per cent pay rise to some of the public sector such as the nurses and the police, why should they get £100,000 a year ??? It makes my blood boil :rant: :rant: :rant:

Well you're certainly ranting - and getting yourself a little confused between local councillors and MPS at the same time.

Local councillors get an allowance of about £10,000 per year for what is effectively a full time job when you're elected as a member for a large City like ours. If you look on the Council website you should be able to see exactly what each councillor earned in the last year.

Archived