The lack of university places for todays students!

it seems today we have far more students than we have university places never mind jobs for graduates that finish their degrees, is it now time to put a stop to mature students, overseas students and recent immigrant students to ease the burden and allow the young people of the UK a decent chance at University? instead of the ludicrous situation we have today?

We have more university places than ever. The problem is that more students expect to be able to go to university. They're only going to be disappointed when they graduate and realise there simply aren't graduate level jobs for them all. Surely it's better that 'reality bites' sooner rather than later?

There's a huge drive in the university sector to recruit increasing numbers of overseas students (non-EU), as that is where the money is. This must be having an impact on the availability of places for home students.

But not recruiting overseas students might have an ever greater effect. The Universities want overseas students for financial reasons, removing their ability to recruit them would cut income and therefore reduce the number of places that they can offer to UK students.

I think that increased competition for University places is a good thing. However, I'm not trying to get a place this year.

There is no point in creating university graduates for positions that do not exist. I realise that the potential students think that they are losing a great deal because of this. After all at what other stage in your life would your parents pay for you to visit another city with lots of people of similar age and get drunk every night!:roll::hihi:

There's a huge drive in the university sector to recruit increasing numbers of overseas students (non-EU), as that is where the money is. This must be having an impact on the availability of places for home students.

The number of overseas students doesn't impact on the number of places available to home students. The number of home students is restricted by government funding. There is a limit on the number of places for home students and universities are fined by the government if they go over this number (about £3700 per student).

it seems today we have far more students than we have university places never mind jobs for graduates that finish their degrees, is it now time to put a stop to mature students, overseas students and recent immigrant students to ease the burden and allow the young people of the UK a decent chance at University?

Well, I'm a mature student, and obviously I disagree with this!! I work very hard at my degree, am funding it myself and working part time. I'm very grateful to have had the opportunity later in life. Why are all the debates about uni centered around jobs? Surely it is a life expanding opportunity for most, a different way of thinking and viewing the world, a chance of meeting new friends, of experiencing other ways of life? Surely an educated populace is beneficial for everyone, regardless of whether the degree is vocational.

No we shouldn't be deterring mature students. If you've got life experience that's worth more than any A level result in my book and most mature students I met are more motivated than teenagers just following the rest of the sheep.

Archived